• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Respiration...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Memo

Sep 1, 2003
Hi,
I know that hyperventilation is a big NO for spearfishing and I'm curious how you take your lat breaths..

Personally, after I concentrate for a dive I take 2 big and one last deepest breath and dive. Does it means hyperventilation?

I experienced a tunnel vision and a samba last summer after a series of stupid dive at 25m with very little rest in between them, and now I am very sensitive to this issue.

Lets here your ideas...

hyperventilation is the decrease of CO2 in the blood. i think 2 big breaths does not reduce co2 and does not count as hyp. u must have much more fast breaths to hyperventilate

I know the technical description of hyp. but just too curious if taking 3 deep breaths cause it

thank you

Memo you cannot go into respiratuar alcholosis just with 3 deep breaths,its impossible.3 deep breaths could not the cause, you have said after a series of stupid 25mt. dives with a little rest.Answer is lying in your last sentence I think,esp. at the last part of the sentence.

I think we need some more help form the freediving physiology gurus,but they do not look up the spearfishing pages..

Two deep breaths can count as hyperventilation if you are completely rested, recovered, and have a high general body alkalinity.

I was in such a state at the 2000 World Cup in Nice, and also at the recent 2003 CAFA western regionals. In both competitions, during my official 2-minute countdown, I took only 2 breaths, and then the final breath, in approximately the pattern [one inhale, hold for one minute, exhale, inhale, hold for 40 seconds, exhale, inhale, pack to the max].

The big danger people have is when they take a too long recovery from a dive, and during their recovery, they are not hyperventilating, but taking slow, deep breaths--which is still too much breathing.

Another big danger is a short recovery between dives, and not being able to feel satisfied--that is the worst sign ever. Most divers counter the unsatisfied feeling by more aggressive breathing, which usually results in a samba on the next dive.

As you read this in front of your computer, look at how shallow and infrequent your breathing is. That is true 'steady state' breathing, which is all the air you need when you are rested. Breathing any more deeply than that will eventually result in the hyperventilation effect.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Reactions: aydin
Thanx Eric. At my horror story 4 months ago, I made 4 conseqetive dives at 27m, 25m, 25m, 22m with about 1 min in between them!!! that was purely stupid and after last dive I really felt bad. (a very bad story of mine but It teached me alot in the hard way).

so the key is, be in a relax mode while hunting and take ONE HUGE breath! I will go with this route from now on.

Just my own poor experience:
Sometimes I make a static apnea in my elevator. Sometimes, only one breath (yes, the only deep breath that i hold) is enough to see stars in the eyes!

Then yes Memo, you can hyperventilate with 2 breaths! :duh

I do not know if i am especially sensitive to that kind of effects, but when I am in the water to either freedive or spearfish i am fine.

No explanation sorry!
Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff06
Just my own poor experience:
Sometimes I make a static apnea in my elevator. Sometimes, only one breath (yes, the only deep breath that i hold) is enough to see stars in the eyes!

Jeff

Elevator, especially if it is a fast one, can cause blood shifting in your body and momentary decrease the amount of blood in your brain. That does not mean that the breathing method does not affect the likelyness of 'seeing stars', but elevator itself defenetely has influence on that.

br,

Tuomo

Well, yes it could have influence my blood...
But this elevator is especially slow, and anyway the stars come sometimes before the elevator start.

@+
Jeff

I have that dizzy feeling when doing statics as well (but only when I'm really hyperventilating). I guess we all should choose the safest route.

Originally posted by Memo
I have that dizzy feeling when doing statics as well (but only when I'm really hyperventilating). I guess we all should choose the safest route.
I do the same thing Memo. It used to be only on the first breath hold that I would get dizzy for the first 10 secs or so. The last sesssion though every single hold had that dizzy spell at the begining. :confused: My breath up was no different than last time as far as I could tell. I guess it just goes to show you that just because you can do it today doesn't mean you can tomorrow. I'm ganna do a few this weekend and see if it happens again.

Thanks Eric for your usual,nice explanation...
And I am now very glad to see you at the hunting forums.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT