• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rest intervals between max static apnea

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

porky

Phat not fat!
Feb 12, 2002
Hello all!

I am undertaking an experiment looking at the effects of face submersion in different water temperatures. We are hoping to get a fair bit of data from each subject. Here is where my question comes to light....

How much rest is necessary in between maximal breath holds in order to avoid any short term physiological adaptations that will make subsequent breath holds longer?

I hope this makes sence.

If anyone has any ideas, thoughts or knows of any research in this area, I would be very interested to hear from you.

Kind regards
Paul

I would suspect all measurable physiological adaptations dissapear after half an hour - but if you are doing this with the body in water - make sure you give the subject half an hour of water acclimation too. This will allow for redistribution of blood flow asscociated with immersion.

The half hour is a guess based on blood parameters and spleenic recovery. Maybe best to leave them for an hour?

Schagatay

Hi Porky,
Erika Schagatay has made a lot of experiments on that subject, they use to rest 2 min between apneas in testing subjects, and the third apnea was the maximal. Perhaps is better to try another day in the same conditions to avoid that bias

blood parameters

what blood parameters are you refering to? The subjects are not going to be fully submerged, just their face. An hour sounds long enough, but do you have any idea where I could find anything stating that blood parameters and splenic activity will return to baseline levels after this time period?

Thanks again

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT