• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Riffe Competitor vs Metal Tech

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

feign

Jun 30, 2003
I am considering between a Competitor or MT in #0 or #1 sizes for a gun purchase.

I have read through the forums and it seems that the MT midhandle will have an advantage of turning the gun. Though, will this make much difference for these short gun lengths? The durability and ability to load a lot of bands are also a plus for the MT.

With the competitor being wood, this would be good for buoyancy with the shaft removed. Is this true, would a competitor have good buoyancy characteristics at these lengths? I would prefer not to have to purchase floater wings for a MT and this is why I am leaning toward the competitor. Also, several people have commented on the accuracy of these guns.

Are there any other qualities of either that would help me decide between them? Thanks.

I would go for the C series of gun. I've got a MT 3 and have shot a C3. The MT, IMHO, is a little heavy to carry around all day and it sinks. Both guns are very accurate and well made. I use my MT for other situations.
Jay

c series

feign,
I use a C3 and C4 twice a week right now and find the wood better weight-wise. The C3 is real close to neutral in the heavy salt of the persian gulf. With a spear laying on the seafloor, it is just enough to hold the gun (without current of course). When hunting this translates to a gun you can move easiliy in the water, tracking quite easily. For durability, I would think it quite difficult to bust a c3 in half :D I am sure it happens but I go out every week 1-2 times and we use all wood guns except 1, and that is only for visitors :p We have had no problems over the past 6 months...

I have a C0 and I think its excelent. If I were ordering again, I would go with a size larger though. I am more accurate with a longer gun to point, and the visability I dive in could handle another 6".

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT