• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

RIFFE Euro Style Speargun Series "MAG-TRACK"

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Spear-Fin

Jun 20, 2006
Hey Mates!

Does anyone own a RIFFE EURO SPEARGUN??

If so, what is your opinion about it?

How does the MAG-TRACK work? Is that recommendable?

What concerning accuracy, range, targeting?

Can I attach any reel or just the supposed SPORASUB INSTINCT REEL? They say, they modified the SPORASUB Reel to fit the RIFFE EURO gun. Can I modify it myself? Since I live in Europe, I do not necessarily want to order it together with the speargun from the U.S.A., when I can get the Sporasub reel a lot cheaper "right around the corner" in Italy.

Spear-Fin

The magnetic track doesnpt sound so new to me. Years ago something like that was patented by an italian inventor. I think he failed to develope the project on the market. Here's a link: it's in italian, but pictures are eloquent.
Apnea Magazine - ARBALETE: IL MAGNETISMO
Now my question for Riffe users is: isnt' there any sensible loss of power with magnets holding the spear?

there was some discussion about that - I'd wonder about it causing the shaft to bow upward a little but apparently these guns have very good range and accuracy. Personally I like what they've done with the grip and would like to see the same grip on their mid-handle guns. I've also read that the euro will shoot both euro and square-notch shafts safely.

- Just kidding of course :) they seem to differ from many euro guns in probably a couple of ways - very heavy duty trigger mech - the usual riffe mech modified a little for euro shafts. Oriented around a relatively heavy 9/32 shaft. If the range specs on the Riffe site are correct - and my experience has been that Riffe is, if anything, a tad conservative - then they are very rangey and should handle recoil better than mid-handle designs due to the teak and the relatively high grip placement.

9/32 is 7.14mm but ths site lists 6.75mm shaft and says, for example - that the 90cm riffe euro will shoot 18' (5.5m) with 2 5/8 bands (16mm I think)

Last edited:
I've heard they're also rather more well-spoken than their colonial counterparts.:king
The gap is closing but The riffe mechanism plus the teak barrel means they can handle a good band load.

I am going to visit our neighbouring Island Jersey very soon so will have a look at the gun in their shop, Apnea. I quite like the sound of the magnetic rail but they are not exactly giving them away! How much would the 90 cost in the states?

So our locale price of approx 420us is not that far away. So fondu, what is your personal opinion of the gun?

I wonder what I could get one for if I drove down there and asked to see "seconds". Hmmmm, this is worth considering. A 75mm would make one grouper of a cave gun . . .

Alas - I've never even fondled one. My impression from what others have said is that it's a very good gun. From experience I know the trigger mech is very sturdy. Should be a pretty stout piece.

I have a Riffe E100 and have been hunting with it for about 3 months now... very straight shooter, easy to load, very nice gun. The magnet helps alot when loading the open barrel. Riffe customer service has been excellent, answering my questions quickly and accurately. I am happy and would buy another Riffe gun.

Reactions: Mr. X and seaman
I think that design is a downisde of this gun: europeans are more demanding on aesthetics, while this gun (and american guns in general) looks too "square" to me.
I know, I know it's stupid to argue about "beauty" (every single person has his own idea of beauty: de gustibus non disputandum est), but if you compare european woodies to this one, you must admit there has been more committment on style, design and details (more ergonomic barrels, more anatomic handles, a cooler look) by the italian, greek and spanish gunmakers.
--
PS: my car is a Ford and in general I have good feelings about american culture, music, arts, literature, architecture et cetera. I'm just talking of spearguns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT