• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

rigging a reel

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pembroke

Apr 24, 2009
hi all
i have just bought a omer reel that i have fitted to my seacsub arrow 75mm. can anyone help me by show/telling/video of correctly rigging the reel to the arrow properly please

Reactions: Lazuli
With such a small gun, you may want to tie the reel line directly to the shaft.

But here is the method most people use. A snap swivel is tied to the reel line and attached to a loop crimped in the rear end of the mono shooting line. The shooting line is crimped to the shaft. Of course you won't have shark fins on your shaft, so the shooting line goes through the hole in the shaft and the loop is long enough to extend outside the trigger mechanism.

Attachments

• RAcomponwidow.JPG
    RAcomponwidow.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 251
  • magnumbutttop.JPG
    magnumbutttop.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 245
  • spectratoshaft.JPG
    spectratoshaft.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 251
UK forum members Pav & Lazuli have done this recently. Pav on a 90cm Omer XXV Gold & Lazuli on a 75cm Omer Cayman, take a look at the images in Lazuli's recent post: http://forums.deeperblue.com/775845-post22.html

I don't use a reel, so I don't know if I would use an in-line bungee (I use mono-spear line - rather than dyneema - which has some give and I believe reels usually give a little line too) but clearly it's an option.

Last edited:
I've never been able to understand the need for an inline bungee with a reel. Bungees act as shock absorbers, and you should have the drag on the reel set loose enough so that there is no shock. A bungee just adds to the clutter.

I recently went back to a breakaway float line, but here are two 65 pound fish taken by dive buddies this year, using reels without bungees.

Attachments

• 3580097616_a13a050db4_o.jpg
    3580097616_a13a050db4_o.jpg
    577.8 KB · Views: 218
  • Jeff65-8.JPG
    Jeff65-8.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 224
i have fitted the reel, first test today, hope my spear dos'nt go shooting orf lol

I've never been able to understand the need for an inline bungee with a reel. Bungees act as shock absorbers, and you should have the drag on the reel set loose enough so that there is no shock. A bungee just adds to the clutter.

I recently went back to a breakaway float line, but here are two 65 pound fish taken by dive buddies this year, using reels without bungees.

Let me explain...

For the type of fishing I do a reel is either for playing a fish that wants to struggle, or coming up for air if the spear was stuck or lodged in something. I don't ever envisage having to let all 50m smoke out of the reel having speared anything supersize like you guys do stateside rofl.

Secondly, I use an open muzzle cayman which has a very particular route for the monofilament. Any loss of tension in the mono results in it falling away from the muzzle which could result in the spear coming off-track and a load of mono floating around. I therefore do not rely on the reel to impart said tension as the clutch on the OMER match 50 is rather imprecise and turned a little too far to the left it can dispense line at will.

Instead I built my own in-line bungee using dyneema and rolled latex sheet which allows me to sustain line tension around the muzzle without leaving all the work to the reel. Its more of a tensioner than a bungee, allowing me to fine-tune the set up and does, in fact, allow for more rapid reloading as you are not having to faff around with the reel clutch after every shot. The reel sometimes lets out a bit extra if needed, so it is still doing its job when required.

Clutter? Not me. I leave that to the SCUBA spearos rofl

Reactions: Mr. X
hi all
i have just bought a omer reel that i have fitted to my seacsub arrow 75mm. can anyone help me by show/telling/video of correctly rigging the reel to the arrow properly please

thanks for all your help, i went out yesterday test fired in the sea and unbeknown to me the reel line had wrapped itself on the inner part of the reel, i came face to face with a very nice bass i fired and the arrow fell short by inches ( snagged ) booo hoooo. something to watch for in future :naughty:naughty

Let me explain...

For the type of fishing I do a reel is either for playing a fish that wants to struggle, or coming up for air if the spear was stuck or lodged in something. I don't ever envisage having to let all 50m smoke out of the reel having speared anything supersize like you guys do stateside rofl.

Secondly, I use an open muzzle cayman which has a very particular route for the monofilament. Any loss of tension in the mono results in it falling away from the muzzle which could result in the spear coming off-track and a load of mono floating around. I therefore do not rely on the reel to impart said tension as the clutch on the OMER match 50 is rather imprecise and turned a little too far to the left it can dispense line at will.

Instead I built my own in-line bungee using dyneema and rolled latex sheet which allows me to sustain line tension around the muzzle without leaving all the work to the reel. Its more of a tensioner than a bungee, allowing me to fine-tune the set up and does, in fact, allow for more rapid reloading as you are not having to faff around with the reel clutch after every shot. The reel sometimes lets out a bit extra if needed, so it is still doing its job when required.

Clutter? Not me. I leave that to the SCUBA spearos rofl

just set in up looking good thanks :t

Let me explain...

As a matter of fact, both of those fish shown took every bit of line from the reels and then towed the divers through the kelp bed before finally tieing up in the kelp. I had to help one of them sort it all out, and it was a real mess.

I see what you mean.

I went spearing in Lake Amistad, Texas a few weeks ago,with Crosseyedsite,at a place called Diablo East. It has sheer cliffs descending into a shoreline / bottom that dropped quickly down to 25 ft. The interesting thing is that we had to swim down through tree tops in order to get to the bottom! Hunting in the trees was really cool, but when I hammered an enormous Carp, the shot was not good enough to stone the fish, subsequently my line became entangled around the limbs. Needless to say, the fish pulled off and I was left struggling to unwrap everything! :martial My buddy on the other hand, has a nicely set up gun with a reel. So when he shot a rather large fish, he casually swam up through the tree branches, then resting on the surface,he waited for the fish to die,while I was laying on the bank,gasping for air,also waiting to die! :duh I'm getting a reel!!

Thanks for explaining that Lazuli. BTW do you use that line catch thing that's moulded on top of the reel to lock the line in (I assume it has one, the match 30 does)?

Thanks for explaining that Lazuli. BTW do you use that line catch thing that's moulded on top of the reel to lock the line in (I assume it has one, the match 30 does)?

Hey X, sorry I did not reply to your question sooner. No, I do not use the moulded line lock on top of the match 50. I never needed to use it given that the clutch and the "tensioner" bungee keep the line nice and snug and at the ready. I also do not use the bent wire line guide installed at the base of the muzzle as it looks very flimsy ( I have heard of this component ripping out). Once the spear leaves the gun, line is free to go in any direction from the reel without taking the muzzle with it. Something I learnt from one of Bill McIntyre's posts on the subject elsewhere.

I use a bungee as I tend to get over excited especially when I have not been in for a wile and horse the fish in too hard. The bungee gives a little for my bullying on the fish!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT