• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rigging a sit-on kayak for spearfishing?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
With the balls, I'd be worried that they might escape, e.g. if the hatched opened. I can just imagine a yak sinking as lots of coloured balls appear at the surface.

Thats why you put them in a plastic bag first ;) black bin bag is ideal ;)
On boats you can then withstand hull damage without your ballast floating free ;)

Thats why you put them in a plastic bag first ;) black bin bag is ideal ;)
On boats you can then withstand hull damage without your ballast floating free ;)
Ah "Black Bag - The Faithful Border Bin Liner".

murdoch_blackbag1.jpg

Dont know if this thread is still active, but if it is, I have a few questions;

How much line do you normally use to attach yourself to the kayak? do you use floating line or webbing (does it tangle less?).

Spare spears? knife, arm or leg?

I don't know how much line I use on the yak but I'd guess about 20 m - I have tended to do this alone (not recommending that by the way :) ) so dont tend to push depth/ bottom time. I guess a longer line could be used for deeper diving but a longer line tends to snag round anything it can and isn't too convenient.

A good tactic is to ensure the line is long enough so that you are a reasonable distance from the yak to minimise the chance of it bashing into you in a swell.

Washing line or floating braid are fine and I connect mine to the bow of the yak with a MTB inner tube working as an inline shock cord.

I'm not saying this is best practice or anything but it's simple and works for me.

Thanks Grant,

Do you carry a spare spear? how about a knife? do you strap it to your arm or leg?

Dont know if this thread is still active, but if it is, I have a few questions;

How much line do you normally use to attach yourself to the kayak? do you use floating line or webbing (does it tangle less?).

Spare spears? knife, arm or leg?

Hi Dawsie, my 2p worth:
I use plastic tube for a float line - it floats, so keeps out the way, also it doesnt tangle SO much... If diving beyond say 7m then i will keep hold of the float line as i drop, keeping it slightly tight. This way i can tow the kayak directly above me and avoid snags if i'm doing a drift dive [my fave]. if you're in the shallows then you want the yak as far away as possible as they make so much noise.
I always attach to the float line via my weight belt. I 99.9% dive solo too...
I used to keep the knife on the leg but its very tangly, got an Omer mini laser [the new ones have a rubber arm strap] and it fits neatly on my arm.
I use a reel on the gun, so if i take a shot [the gun is not on a line] then i can get to the surface before going back to retrieve the fish.
thats just what i do, but other people have different ideas...

I use 30m of 6mm marine grade line. onto a 2kg anchor with 4m or chain. Completely overkill... but there is room in the kayak and its a nice piece of mind when I anchor and dive away :) and its the same setup I use when I take the inflatable out so I'm glad its heavy gear.

I've never drift dived with a kayak, only anchored, swam away and then drifted back to the kayak whilst diving.

I carry the same as I would on my float, except it has the fishfinder. So spare speargun, some food / drink, spare mask / snorkle etc. What I really want to figure out this season is the best way to keep the fish fresh for a long paddle, I got a freezer bag that I plan to use!

Im planning on getting a new kayak to replace the old work horse, does anyone know anything about the teksport 330 angling kayak?

Not a ride on Kayak but a great set up for going further afield and covering some longer distances. Home made fibreglass outrigger. I just use a cockpit cover whilst out of the boat and anchored. 17 1/2ft kayak is a bit cumbersome for a quick dip but great for a full day. I carry everything on it. Super stable platform. I even anchor it up and have a sleep on it if I fancy a siesta. I have done that a few times in Wales after a day in the sea, waiting for the tide to come in so I don't have to drag it so far up a beach to get out! :D

p6426-kayak.html

these are from my time in Guernsey courtesy of Jonny250

p6427-kayak2.html

p6428-kayak3.html

p6429-kayak4.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Looks good. I couldn't,t imagine how you were getting in and out a sit in kayak.

Thanks. Looks good. I couldn't,t imagine how you were getting in and out a sit in kayak.

Yeah not an easy affair! Ended up going ashore to get in and out and just left on anchor in a bay whilst i fished. Now can chuck anchor and get in and out where i like with outrigger. i usually go down to set anchor before swimming off and free it back off before i climb back in again.

Some nice tips above, I'm looking forward to my Yak arriving sometime this week. It's nice to hear that people both drift dive and anchor their yaks whilst spearing. When doing either do you flag your Yak?

I do. I have a rocket style rod holder that I put vertical with a 1.5 m rod with a dive flag on. It's great for attracting jet skiers and kayakers who think they've bagged a drifting yak :)
What type of yak have you bought?

Just gone for a bit of a do it all Fatyak Kaafu, plan is perhaps for a Scupper Pro long term, but the Fat Yak will be good for the GF/mates when I'm surfing. What have others on here got?

And even longer term I've RIB plans...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT