• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Right ear won't equalize?!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

RIbum

Jul 31, 2007
I have been around water all of my life. Just recently I started to do some free diving and am happy in the 15-25feet/4.5-7.5meter range. I can equalize, and practice it when I'm not in the water.

However, my right ear does not want to follow the plan! I feel like I have to pressurize so forcefully that I'm worried about my left eardrum. I end up equalizing my left, and my right starts to suffer to the point of pain!!! This is getting so bad that at the end of the diving when I start to head back to the beach after 2-3 hours of diving, when I spit out the phlegm that has accumulated there is fresh blood. Not a lot, and it never persists after I clear out the big gunk everyone gets. This blood is probably from the sinuses and back of throat from the high pressure frenzel maneuver

Are there any dry exercises I can do to help my right ear? I need to make it easier to equalize that side, because I'm either blowing out my left or not equalizing enough. Is this lopsidedness common?

i have the same problems with my left
after some hours of underwater hunting i also have some blod in my mask
i=m not worried about this
yesterday i experienced big problems with my left ear in scubadiving not in freediving
the litle problem was that i was traped in a little cave hole with air above but wit the exit at 11 meters bellow
i tried 7 times to equalize but don=t succeded
finally whaen i succeded i was fuzzy for a couple of seconds
i never experienced this in freediving
today i went at 11 meters with no problems at all
it was like a simple practice (30 seconds go and return)
in scuba there seems to be problems (perhaps because of the obtured sinuses or perhaps because i don-t equalise as often as in freediving)

Are you sure you are doing the Frenzel correctly? To test it on land, breathe out completely and then try to equalise. If you can do it, you are doing the Frenzel. If you can't, and are trying to pull your stomach in, you are not doing the Frenzel. I had that problem for a while, but now I can do it correctly.

Vali, I'm a little worried. I get anoyed and equalize one ear only, because I am afraid of hurting the other. But then the under equalized ear begins to hurt and I can't dive for 2 weeks.

Naiad, yes I can do it with air from my lungs, or using my tounge as a piston, I can do it with my mouth open, or closed. My problem is that I can do one ear, but not the other becomes more and more difficult to equalize as hours pass. Soon I pre-equalize (pressure up) on the surface, and equalize on the way down BUT only for my left ear and my right begins to hurt when I'm on the bottom and I equalize it once I am down and once it hurts...

I think my right tube is either smaller, or has more mucus...?

just don´t pressure to hard, I´m stuck on land for unknown time with a hole in my eardrum....
I think I remember a friend mentioning something about som pills or something that could open up you canals, try asking your doctor.

good luck
hc

Forcing equalizations is a tricky business that can lead to hearing loss.
When your right ear is stuck try tilting your head to the left and equalizing, it might let you put some air in it.
Other solutions are:
Try to equalize as often as possible, even 3 times per meter if that is what you need to avoid these problems. You can try to equalize continuously from the surface.
A better long-term solution (if you can achieve it) is to work on opening your tubes in similar fashion to hands-free equalization. You might not be able to equalize hands-free but you might get rid of your current problem.

If diving causes you pain or bleeding then you're doing something wrong, I would work on fixing it and not wait for future cumulative damage or one-time trauma to prove me that I'm wrong.
Vali, I would worry if I was you.

Agreed its a very good video that has been around a while but I only saw it it recently.

i have the same problem with my left ear too... by practice, things are getting better. my Dr. said that i got a deviation somewhere in my nose, so i have to sit for an operation to fix this problem.

anyways, i know how annoying it is when u have the will to go deeper, but u just can't bec of one ear.:(
keep practicing and try to see a Doctor.

good luck
cheerzZz

Vali, I would worry if I was you.

well
i know that is some reason 2 be worried 2
but i know that this problems are because of some childish "mallpraxis"
when i was young i used to dive at 8 m depth with great ear pain [because of not knowing the technique]...perhaps this lead me to undesireable repercussions...young means 12-14 years of age
i'm somehow shure that my problem reside in not cealing my sinusess before going down....
in the near fututre ai will go 2 the doctor to inshure myself that the eardrumm is ok:)
sun...pictures from mediteranean sea [alanya]

ive had the same problem with my right ear too, but after taking a week or two off and putting antibotic drops in it, its not an issue any more but it was so painfull and frustrating.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT