• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rob Allan 1500 Carbon Tuna gun!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hiya

Specifically refering to tuna. Their flesh is very solid and even bad shots hold very well. I haven't lost a tuna due to a fish tearing off yet, and i'm VERY good at making BAD SHOTS!!!:D:D Most of the fish we do lose is to slip tips not engaging, but thats not very common. Easily avoidable by shooting correctly, but you get carried away seeing those big fish in the water.

If you fish with rod and reel, you'll understand my theory very well!! The more line a tuna takes from your reel, the more line you have to retrieve!! Similarly, when shooting tuna, a very long float line is detrimental to you. The fish simply weighs so much, that it'll easily take all your float line. Should you at any time let go of your floatline, the fish simply sinks down to the bottom, taking all your hard earned floatline with it again. Should the fish die deep down, you'll need to get into the boat to pull the fish up. Impossible to pull a big fish from great depth whilst you're in the water.

The Tommy Botha float system works VERY well. As Rob says, its definitely the way to go. Read on the other forums on how long spearo's take to land their tuna's. Most stories will tell you about epic 1-2hr fights and a knackered spearo afterwards. My wife boated a 50kg YF in under 15minutes with-out any problem with Tommy's float system. Goes to show you the effectiveness of it.

Shane, shooting and landing those Giant BF tuna is basically unchartered territory. No hard and fast rules on what works and what doesn't. Since the water is very deep, you could possibly try two boogie board floats with a slightly smaller one in the front and a larger than normal one at the rear. That way, you can tie off the bungees as you retreive them. Another limiting factor is the drag that lots of line has in the water. When we fished for tuna on rod and reel using 10kg line, a big tuna would easily take 200-300m line. The shear drag on 300m line is enough to break the line, even if your drag is on free spool. Similarly, having a very big fish, in very deep water, will put loads of pressure on your float line system. You'll have to play around with bungee lengths and boogie board sizes to find the right combination so that the slip tip cable or shooting line doesn't snap under the weight plus drag.

Regards
miles

Reactions: shaneshac
I agree Miles,

I need to work on a system, inflatable wet suit or something!

Do you know what set up Mark Anderson had when he shot his 3 big tuna? I know the gun was a 1,3m.

Rob.

Hiya

No idea!!! What i can how-ever tell you is all the hard-luck stories you hear on the vhf radio. During last season, i must've heard at LEAST a dozen occations where the speared tuna simply swims off with the spearo's spear and floats!!! Even the guys using the small boogie board floats have them dragged away!!

As Rob stated earlier, far too many fish are lost and wasted due to inefficient float line/bungee/float systems. With many spearo's making the transition from inshore spearing to Blue Water hunting, they must realise that shooting the fish is one part and landing the fish is another part. You can pretty much tackle any fish inshore with a 11ltr RA float and a 40m floatline, but thats woefully in-adequate on Blue Water fish. Sadly, expensive floats and bungees are needed. Inferior equipment just leads to disaster. It is expensive, but INVEST in a good quality float/bungee system. Means the difference between a hard luck story and a beautiful picture of that HUGGGGEEE fish of a lifetime!!

Regards
miles

Reactions: Mr. X
Hiya

I had a quick browse through this thread and see that i didn't post the pic's yet!!! :duh :duh Sorry!!!!

The culprit that bent my spear!!!

Attachments

• RA 1500 Bent spear - small.JPG
    RA 1500 Bent spear - small.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 199
  • bent spear small.JPG
    bent spear small.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 214
After that incident, i had the spear bent back into shape. DeeperBlue forum member, DJBridges, came visiting Cape Town and he is accustomed to shooting a 1500 RA Alluminuim. So i borrowed my 1500RA carbon gun to him. He liked the lightness of the gun and the easier manouverability, probably due to the lighter weight.

He managed a 50kg+ YF tuna on my 1500RA carbon. Shot from above, through the head. Unfortunately for the spear, it wasn't a kill shot!! Sooo, the same spear got bent again. We've now bent it back to its straight original shape!! (pretty much the same thing happens to my 10mm spears when i get a bad shot in!!)

Regards
miles

Attachments

• DJ1.JPG
    DJ1.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 202
  • dj bent spear.JPG
    dj bent spear.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 203
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT