• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rob Allen Roller setup

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

159Swat

Apr 2, 2017
Hello guys, need your help, I've converted my old Rob Allen Tuna in to a roller for this I used Rob Allen's original rollers kit.

I am using this with 17.5mm x 750mm primary red / amber rubber and a 7mm 170cm Rob Allen notch shaft.

My initial idea was to use this weapon for wahoos or any open-water fish that comes in my reach and replace my 150 Rob Allen Tuna, because even although with good range of shot I end up missing several fish due to the big recoil and also as it a long gun it’s not easy to move, so the idea was a 130cm tube with a bigger range shooting so that’s when the roller idea came in.

But now, after getting the roller and even not using it too much, since it is not what i expected, the Roller muzzle kit makes the gun heavier, so if you stop the grip it sinks quickly, realized also that the muzzle makes it harder to aim the target but my biggest concern is that it is not the power I expected, I was impressed by how fast the the shaft was off and since there is almost no recoil, maybe because of that you almost don’t notice the shooting, this also may be why I same times think it not powered enough, but I've been missing many wahoos, same so closed that with a regular 130 RA Tuna would be stoned would not even need the 150 cm.

So, what do you guys think I could do to improve these problems, with a load assistance hook I can easily load the speargun, could I use shorter rubber, but then I'm afraid if they get to short, the problem can also be with spear size and mm, any suggestions? Sorry for my English.

Thanks

Are you tensioning the rubber right back to the handle? If not then maybe you should try that? Also I've seen a video where Rob Allen says the most effective length is a 110 roller though I've also seen many ppl using 120 rollerguns. Chris Coates did an awesome write up that you can read as well. Just google 'Unrolling the roller' It's two detailed articles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made a mistake in my first post, in fact what i'm using is the premeline with 16mm x 75cm primary red / amber rubber and a 7mm 170cm Rob Allen notch shaft.

Thanks Nicolas for you reply , yes i already have read Chis article Unrolling the roller, but i'm still missing same thing.

Pretension all the way to the handle? I think you'll need to pretension max with that rubber or even cut a bit shorter to power the shaft properly. What distance are you missing fish from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not quit shore about the distance i was shotting the fish, but missed twice wahoos, i know the shots were long and difficult, it is difficult to read too much into the 2missed shots, can't quit explain but it seams the miss power in the end it also maybe because the roller almost does not have recoil that make me think it as not enought power, guesse the best is to try it in a pool.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT