• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Roe - which, when and how?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

manalive!

Nov 9, 2010
Whilst recently cleaning a mullet I noticed the roe. I'm guessing this is edible?

So, it begs the questions: which fish roe can you eat, is there a right time to eat it and finally, how do you prepare it?

Thanks

Paul

mullet roe is edible as are most roes but some are better than others (one thing they have in common is a high protein and fat content) i like to fry it and drizzle with lemon juice with a bit of salt and pepper but there are oodles of different things you could do some people set it in butter like a pate and so on and so forth. get some cod roe from a fish mongers have a explore on google and try a few different things.

Thanks for the reply Charlie,

How much do you need? The roe on the mullet were each about the size of my little finger, perhaps bigger, how many people could they serve, if indeed any?

Paul

Thanks for the reply Charlie,

How much do you need? The roe on the mullet were each about the size of my little finger, perhaps bigger, how many people could they serve, if indeed any?

Paul
only 1-2 but its a nice on toast or chopped up and mixed through a small salad as a little amuse bouche before you have the fish for the main

here is what I do with roe which I get from the fish I spear, I like to blanch it in milk then fry it in some oil and butter, make a sauce with rice vinegar and soya sauce add finely chopped coriander and only if u can tolerate it fresh thai chili/ serve on toasted bread and lightly sprinkle the sauce.

I don't know if you guys ever eaten roe topped sushi. Pretty much all roe is edible, in fact is a delicacy. Best if brined or salted dry, there are different techniques, but one thing in common - roe has to be infused with salt, then slightly oiled just so all cells are rolling nicely like ball bearings. Before brining it has to be separated from the tissue that is holding it, hard to explain how to do it, this is the part where half of the roe may be lost in a process. Any kind of cooking ruins the flavor and taste.

In my location of the northern gulf of Mexico, mullet roe is a favorite meal. go one state to the east or west, and no one eats it. I coat mine in flour and fry it in butter.

Be careful in places where ciguatera poisoning is present. Roes carry a higher concentration of the toxine.

Other than that, they are very good to eat. :)

here is what I do with roe. First it needs to be separated from the sack. Rip the sack and open it flat, roe on one side and sack on the other. It helps to have a cotton glove, so the sack isn't too slippery in your hand. Gently rub roe side against the tennis or badminton racket, with a dish underneath to catch all separated balls. Prepare the brine for salting - boil the water, cool it and dissolve as much salt as the water will take. Its okay if some salt present on the bottom, means the brine is at saturation point. Dump the roe into it and keep agitating with your hand, keep doing it for about 5-8 minutes. Then screen your roe out and leave it to drip in colander for a while. Then move it to the vessel where you will be keeping it, like mason jar for example, and add a spoon of vegetable oil to the top, so that oil precipitate through and lubricate all the balls. Ready to eat.

Brine must be cold?
Exactly. Brine must be cold, we are not cooking the roe but just infusing it with salt. This recipe works for spring salmon with fairly large cells, should work for mullet. Some people prefer scalding roe with boiling water to harden up its cells prior to rubbing on the mesh part, but flavour will greatly suffer.

Interesting.
...Then move it to the vessel where you will be keeping it, like mason jar for example, ....
In the UK, "Kilner jar" is used as both a product name & generic name for preserve jars, much as "Mason jar" is in the USA. For this type of thing:
220px-HotRedJam.jpg
41%2B7Z8Rp2bL.jpg

You're right. Peagics don't carry ciguatera.

Please be careful, this isn't a hard & fast rule. I'm aware of many cases of ciguatera poisioning from pelagic fish. For example some areas in southern Queensland spanish mackeral have caused many cases. Yet a few hundred kilometers north or south they are considered reasonably safe. Its a good idea to check with local fishers if your spearing in a coral area to see what they consider safe for their area.

Cheers Sharkey

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT