• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Roller vs Traditional Set-up

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yea must admit it would probably ruin my spearo session. But then all spearguns have an inherent risk, for example carbon barrels could snap and splinter under full load from rubbers, or the screw threads holding the rubbers into the muzzle could round off or strip resulting in the rubbers coming your direction pretty quickly.

It's swings and roundabouts really mate. It's the same with any extreme sport, the higher the risk the bigger the thrill/buzz. Just gotta take the good with the bad and have fun doing what you do

Ok,I promice to make more detailed pictures.
The idea of this gun is to gain more power=speed with thinner bands-16mm.Then the loading is still easy.There is no danger becose of the low pressure and everything is safely atached.Bands are hidden and limited in their beds so cant go up or to the face of spearo

More pictures would be great. I am not doubting you at all, I think it is an amazing design that would be very accurate an powerful. Do you use a tool/aid to load the gun or just grab the wishbone and load like a conventional gun?? Sounds like a funny question but in another thread about inverted roller guns the creator/user uses a tool to load the gun. I love the steep taper and thin end on your gun, judging by your video it looks like it moves through the water very quickly and easily.

Tool is not nescesary,you have enough space to take the dyneema with hand and 16mm band is easy to load,even if its 110 gun.
And its true,gun mooves quickly and verry light in the water.I wanted to have a gun wich is comfortable for all hunting techniques,including "aguatto"

How does you gun balance underwater, will it float or sink with the spear in place?

Sseal, great gun u have there. I am sure it is as sexy in action as it looks like out of the water.
Cyprus's summer heat (+35'C in shadow) is the best time to fix guns under in the shade so recently purchased a monocoque carbon gun made by Nitrosub (small Turkish company) and guys, I am eager to get my hands dirty with it.
We have been customizing spearguns with self-made roller heads for some time now, so I believe we have some experience to take a next step. All our rollers (so far) were vertical ones, but I have this nice idea... Why not go horizontal? Its hard to accomplish using existing heads of manufacturers like OMER, Cressi, etc.
So my great plan (hehe) is to put the bearing inside that hole for rubbers. I will upload some pics so u have a better understanding. 2 main things though:if any Europeans among us(who wants to know more about the Nitrosub) are interested in a review - I will do so; point # 2 = I want your critics. All crazy ideas are welcome, as they will shed light on some shady parts of the project.
My vision for the project is to minimize weight and friction by placing rollers neatly inside the head. My plan is to make a whole set-up inside the hole for rubbers.
I intend to use "rubber - to line - to rubber" setup(basically NOT one piece of rubber+one piece of line").
Stretching coefficient will be around 350% with 16mm bands and a 7mm shaft (the gun is 100).
Pictures below are mainly of a head.
Green colored shape is the screw. It will go directly down from the shaft-canal, thru the hole, thru the bottom part of the hole to the outside. Roller bearings will be separated with a metal "pancake". Once the screw and rollers are installed, I will smooth the hole on the shaft-canal with some carbon fiber.
Thats basically it. I hope u understand my cheesy English and throw some constructive ideas @ me :)
Thanks.

Attachments

• 12072012474.jpg
    12072012474.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 12072012472.jpg
    12072012472.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 12072012473.jpg
    12072012473.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 10072012470.jpg
    10072012470.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 10072012469.jpg
    10072012469.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 255
I was won
Its almost neutral with 7,5 spear hanging in the water sinking very slow
I was wondering what it would be like to put rubber instead of string, then you would have ultimate power from wherw could i get the barrel?and the other stuff of the gun it looks great nice work dude you are an artist

Good luck building your own roller . I have slowly converted to roller guns over the last few years, for open water long range they require getting used to . If you do not adjust the head they can shoot low as the bridle can flip the spear as it leaves the gun .
This has been designed out on the Revo concept gun by use of two fins to catch the bridle before the spear exits the end of the gun.
On the Revolution guns I use, I have adjusted my technique and had excellent results both here and in ASI.
The 85cm Revolution is ideal for UK open water fishing giving perfect balance and range enough for the clearest water.
The 105 is light once in the water and has as much range as my 1.3 tuna gun. Try the revolution before spending fortunes on tubes etc
You will be impressed.

Those comments regards shooting low?

I found my 105 ET Roller shoots FLAT, but low? Dunno, maybe a little at longer ranges.
I have handled a revolution, never shot one but they look well designed and, in hindsight, with the leaking barrel issues I've suffered with 2 newer omer guns at the muzzle, maybe I should have myself, invested in the Beuchat.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT