• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rope - floating or sinking? Polypropylene or Polyester?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Oct 1, 2017
Hello,
I'm planning on buying a buoy and am puzzling the merits of a rope that floats against one that sinks.
One that floats is cheaper but the difference is negligible against any possible comfort or safety criteria.
Any input is welcome.
Alasdair

Floating rope is a pain in the ass because it tangles easily. Also, the yellow poly rope is difficult to coil as it retains the shape its been stretched to. Better to get some sailing rope. It's heavier but more reliable and predictable. I have no idea what they are called, though.

Alasdair, what are you using the float and rope for? If spearfishing, you want floating rope. It's safer. If you are using it for a descent liner for training, I'd go with sinking.

Good point, I was talking about a training line. Nice catch hteas!

Hi,
Yes, a good question. In this case it is to be used as a descent line.
I am guessing but assume you'd use a floating line in spearfishing as it isn't tight and so it won't snag on the bottom. Please correct me.
As a descent line, when being set up or packed in, I find a floating line easier as I don't have to keep pulling it back up to the surface. That said a sinking line will not get in the way on the surface. Are there any negative sides to a sinking line as a descent line?
Alasdair

Actually the floating line for spearfishing is so you don't tangle with during a dive; an event that that could get quite ugly.
In retrospect I have used floating line for both descent and spearfishing.

You might want to google "Passat Polyester Rope – Double Braid". I have seen a lot of freedivers using this or very similar ropes usually between 8mm - 12mm (depending on your preference). It's a pretty standard marine rope so you can find it in most sailing shops. Not the cheapest but very durable.
It doesn't float and seems to sink really slowly so I guess buoyancy is close to neutral.

Thanks for the tips. The vote seems to go out (just) to a sinking line for a descent line. I will look up the Passat rope.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT