• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Roping and anchoring a float

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Estrix

May 14, 2018
Not sure whether to put this here or the freedive section.

Basically I have a torpedo float with 20m of line. I wrapped the line around a 3kg lead weight (what I had available) to act as an anchor. This has not been entirely effective and I've noticed two problems.

1) The lead weight tends to drag across the bottom when the line is fully extended.

2) The line continues to pay out after placing the weight on the bottom. The current seems to basically just pull the line off the weight.

So I'm looking for advice about anchoring the float but equally how to stop the line paying out after deploying. Swimming an oblique 20m underwater to recover it is still quite difficult for me. Especially as it tends to be against the current lol. Thinking I'll rewrap the line in a figure 8 to see if that helps.

3kg is a lot for a spearing float. If the current is so strong, you may be better off using a small folding anchor, there are several options available. Or, if there is weed, perhaps a reef hook or clip. Or, instead of using a weight/anchor, clip your float-line to the butt of your speargun (I generally do this) or the back of your weight-belt.

To control release of the rope, two obvious possibilities spring to mind:
  1. use line winder or spool and leave unneeded line on the winder and lock it off with a knot or clip
  2. coil-up any spare-line and lock-it which a hitch or two, South African style, Rob Allen shows this in a youtube video
I tried several plastic winders but prefer to make my own small, wooden winders (essentially a piece of wood with a U-shaped notch at each end - add a hole or two for securing the winder/line/etc.), which I leave permanently knotted to the float line. The float-line is stored on it. As I enter the water I release some or all of the line, the winder is secured near the float-end of the floatline, so stays near the float. Any unneeded line is left coil on the winder and I lock it there with a hitch. Paint your winder camo or make it shimmer like a fish attractor if you like.

Got a pic of it Mr. X?

Line winder by seleniumsz, on Flickr

I appreciate Mr. X's post and if you have a bit of time to spare a winder is really easy to make.

However

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/40-m-empty-line-winder-id_8132100.html

you can normally pick it up if you have a decathlon near by so its cheap as chips.

I spliced my makeshift float line and added a bit of tubing to protect the tip of the loop, then used some metal clips to attach the ends.

One end its short and it clips to the hand rope of my makeshift float <a cheap second hand body board> then i wound some of the float line in a figure of 8 on the winder, i left out about 10 m of float line as i normally dive less than that, i ran the float line trough the hole and looped it around one of the arms to make a stop knot then continued winding the rest of the line in a figure of 8 and attach it to my gun.

When i and ready tojump in water i just connect one end to the float, chuck the float over board and let it unwind itself the 10 m to the stop knot and then clip it to my gun and i'm ready.

If i dive shallow rocky areas i can unclip the gun and clip the float on a kelp stem, or just wind it up and leave just 4-5 m out.
If i need more line out i just undo the loop and it will unravel itself the whole 20 m

Not sure whether to put this here or the freedive section.

Basically I have a torpedo float with 20m of line. I wrapped the line around a 3kg lead weight (what I had available) to act as an anchor. This has not been entirely effective and I've noticed two problems.

1) The lead weight tends to drag across the bottom when the line is fully extended.

2) The line continues to pay out after placing the weight on the bottom. The current seems to basically just pull the line off the weight.

So I'm looking for advice about anchoring the float but equally how to stop the line paying out after deploying. Swimming an oblique 20m underwater to recover it is still quite difficult for me. Especially as it tends to be against the current lol. Thinking I'll rewrap the line in a figure 8 to see if that helps.

Around the 3 minute mark you'll find the line winding info.. i would recommend watching all 7 minutes of the video as it will give you some more ideas.

If you look at my previous post you'll find a link for a line winder that will make it a lot easier for minimal cost.

The problem you are experiencing with the weight movement can be attacked from different angles..

You can change the line to a smaller diameter one... military paracord comes in various diameters and strengths .. anything over 300 lb is probably too much and i suppose it will be around 5 mm thick

You can time your dives so you are diving the slack water 1 h before high or low water ... in most of places you will get at least a 2 hour window.

You don't give too much info on why u need to dive that particular spot so i don't know what else to suggest but quite obviously you could dive some area that doesn't have that much current ?

As Mr. X said you could try to use an anchor ... but if your 3 kg weight drags across the bottom i suppose its a flat bottom and anchors would need some cracks/rocks/ kelp to be anchored to...

Another option is to use a reel and attach it close to the float. You can also use a small anchor or reef hook instead of a lead weight.

The "string" from a reel is strong enough to anchor a float, but you want to make sure the line is not contacted by reef or wreck or anything that could abrade the line. You can also use 4 feet or so of rope leading from the reef hook to the string. This would put the heavier rope in contact with objects on the bottom and keep the reel line above and out of harms way. The reel will allow you to adjust the scope to make it as short as is practical for the depth and waves and current you find yourself in.

The pictures on this link might give you a few ideas.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Utility-Reel-p/mur.1.htm

Reactions: mariusshobo
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT