• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rowing & Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MANTA99

Jan 27, 2003
I was thinking that rowing would be an ideal method of training for freediving, giving a full body workout without bulking you up to much and also good for your breathing, does anyone here row and freedive? How do you think it would be as a part of your freedive training? I'm just generally wondering if it would be a good way to train out of the water, instead of weight training.

I rowed in college and I can tell you its a great all around workout. I don't think it's any better in particular than running or swimming though. I think the main benifit to any cardiovascular training is that it lowers your resting heart rate which is benificial to freediving. I personally swim, run, and row. I also like to alternate between a lower intensity aerobic pace and a higher intesity anaerobic pace. I'm no physiological expert though, but it seems to keep me in pretty decent shape.

Manta

It's a good endurance activity. As our Hawaian friend suggests try to combine periods of high intensity (beyond your anaerobic threshold, which is before you start to find hard to keep your breathing, and usually after 15-20 min of exercising) with moderate to low intensity (before the anaerobic threshold kicks in).

When you exercise past that point you'll use the glycogen stored in your liver and muscles to produce ATP (energy). Before that point you'll mainly use fat as energy source.

How to do know when you are here or there? Use a heart rate monitor, otherwise listen to your body and slow down:)

And don't forget to follow a sound nutrition program.

Ah! you can send me a cheque for $25 for this basic advice. My address is:duh

Sorry, it was for free:D

Gerard.

By the way, I was wondering if weight training was harmful or helpful for freediving.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT