• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Rule of thirds and any subtle signs that blackout is near?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Simon1975

Mar 9, 2019
Firstly a hello, I've just joined this forum and new to freediving, although I did spend sometime dabling dangerously, uninformed in my 20's, obliviously hyperventilating,on my own in open water. 20 or so years on I bought a speargun and have been really enjoying both the hunting and the deep blue.

My questions, I have read a bit about the rule of thirds and wondering if maybe I'm getting to close to the edge of missed something? I have 3 little kids who are often around when I'm practicing/training and the idea of blacking out freaks me out! Static on dry,I generally get an urge to breathe shortly after a minute, contractions start at around 2 minutes but my pb is 4:25, doesn't really fit the rule of thirds or is there something I'm missing that would enable contractions to be held off a bit?

Wondering if anyone has a comprehensive list of subtle signs that blackout is close, I have a fair feel of what is happening within and generally although the contractions are quite unpleasant by 4' I generally feel quite clear and in control, I guess I'm wondering if there a fail safe way of knowing how far one can push but not have to go to the blackout to find out??? Many thanks Simon

Hi Simon,

I think I know what video you are talking about in term of the 'rule of thirds'. Does it involve apnea walking on a beach?

If that's not it, I'm not sure where else you've heard of this.

Either way, it's a made-up term that, although can be perfectly applicable to some, is way off the mark for most.

There is NO, sure fire way to predict your limit based on contractions time. The only way is careful experimentation with max attempts and a good buddy watching you

Thanks
From memory, it was a UK freediving course intro,went something like, "every breathe hold can be split into 3 parts, 1st third, comfortable with no impulse to breathe, 2 nd third, impulse to breath gets stronger, 3rd third is predominated with contractions with the end of the 3rd third being the danger zone and black out!
Yes I did think that was probably a generalisation. Haven't had the opportunity to train with a buddy. I'm guessing that should become a focus if I'm going to start pushing my limits.

Well, if your doing static you can do max attempts alone, in your bed.

Of course in water stuff requires a buddy/instructor but no reason you couldn't go for a max hold dry.

But yeah, get a buddy for doing big DYNs or depth stuff. I saw your profile sais your in NZ.. where abouts? I might be able to put you in touch with a friend who's a great instructor and coach. From memory he's in Auckland and trains regularly in lake taupo.

Sorry for the delay, I'm in the far north so quite away from Auckland and Taupo but he may have connections up here so any contacts would be much appreciated

Sorry for the delay, I'm in the far north so quite away from Auckland and Taupo but he may have connections up here so any contacts would be much appreciated
My friend said there's an instructor named 'Gemma Shields' who's based in the north.. I think you can find her online.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT