• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rules in Cyprus???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cop

Mar 20, 2004
Hi everybody!

I'm like newbie here... and not so good with internet search and my english...

I'm going to Cyprus (Agya Napa) and like to know about spearfishing rules in that island. So, if anybody knows; what kind of permission I need to do some spearfishing (by freediving) aroud that neighborhood?

And one more; it's pretty hard to travel with speargun (or is it?), is there any change to rent one in Cyprus?

If someone answers, I'm thankful. If not, I spend my holiday seeking for answers...

I'm back and spend few days of my holiday by seeking answers and just want to share it;

I did not found anyone who rents spearguns in south-east part of island. In fact ewery answers I got was that it is illegal for tourist to do spearfishing but in same time they tried (not all of them) to sell spearfishing trips ( including suit, gun, car / boat trips and "permissions" ) to me.

Next one is checked from net, Cyprus tourist guide A-Z and local authorities; it is allowed to do spearfishing by freediving in daytime in "free" areas (means; no swimming areas, harbours etc.) without any permissions. When I told that to these "it is illegal to tourists"- people, the answer was that it is wrong information and I need to buy their trip.

Now, should we "own" our logal waters and collect money by cheating some our fellow spearhunters? That sounds pretty fair to me :duh

Well, water was pretty cold but under water life was nice and rich in areas where you could be all alone. Next time I will travel with all my gear set and any "businesman" can come and ask for "permissions" :ko

I live in Cyprus. It is legal for anyone to use a speargun without a license either freediving or scuba but not at night. I'm not aware of anyone renting spearguns but really don't know.

I heard of Greek Cypriot spearfishers who went to the Turkish north being arrested. If Murat is reading this he's our man in north Cyprus. Murat?

yeah paul its correct:waterwork

We need to get license for spearfishing here, its only few dollars but thing is they want citizen ID. Don't know about trouist regulations...

Reactions: OceanSwimmer
I think to scuba dive, like in Greece and Turkey, you need a "citizen" with you. Perhaps it's the same for spearfishing if the concern is to stop people coming in and stealing antiquities and depletign fish stocks.

EVET ;-)

paul

Reactions: OceanSwimmer
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT