• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

running and freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

maltaspearo

Aug 2, 2003
recently i started running about 5 miles / day will this help me as a free diver if so a lot or a little what will help me most in free diving
john from malta

Your training must be done correctly to have some effect. Try the cardio running:
-get a heart beat monitor
-220-your age=max heart rate
-while running keep your heart rate about 65-75% of you max heart rate

It's enough to run 1 hour per day bur more won't hurt.
And don't forget to REST once in while...

thats exactly what i am doing im running one hour /day i am 32 years old and i am running at a heart rate of 160 -175 bpm for 5 miles is that ok

Hi maltaspearo,
in my opinion, there are three ways to train for freediving:

aerobic training: to increase lung-heart functionality and thus increase O2 absortion and CO2 expulsion and so
botton time on a single breath

anaerobic training: to increase your body efficiency in low O2 conditions and high lactate
(waste from muscles) concentration. Freediving
is basically an anaerobic sport (under 10 min activity= anaerobic)

breathold training: It can be static tables,
dynamic in a pool, static in a pool (wet static), etc...

So, running below your 75% Max heart rate can lead you to good aerobic condition (running at least 20 minutes to ensure full aerobic training).

Also making interval running training, in which your run
about 1-2 minutes at 75%-90% Max HR, and then make an active recovery about another 2 mins or more (basically recovery=activity time)
will make you good in anaerobic exercise (low O2 and high lactate) and you will felt less tired
in the ascent on a dive.

My 2 cents,

Oscar

I was wondering if it was a good idea to combine the different training types during the same day.

For instance doing aerobic then breathhold training. If so would it be better to do the breathhold training before or after aerobic or anaerobic training?

One last question for aerobic training you say to run for at lest 20 minutes, but for anaerobic running does it matter how long or is it the intensity that count?

Aloha,

Austin

Austin
Last year I tried aerobic training after static tables. Don't know if it's any better training but it feels good. I'm doing an O2 routine that takes about 90 minutes and leaves a buzz in the head. I look forward to spending an hour or two on the bike later in the day. Sort of goes against the more pain, more gain theory, though.
Aloha
Bill

For instance doing aerobic then breathhold training. If so would it be better to do the breathhold training before or after aerobic or anaerobic training?

I think it would be the best to do the breath-holding while training anaerobic training like while doing weight lifting or anything else. Hold your breath and when you feel the first contraction start lifting as much as you can. You can do the same this with pushups...

Any more ideas?

Bill,

I like the idea of splitting up the workouts. I think I have enough time in the morning to do Static tables before work. Then after work I could do the Aerobic or Anaerobic workout.

Mlaen,

I plan to do apnea execises such as pushups and crunches, but I think I will alternate those with regular anaerobic training such as running intervals.

Aloha,
Austin

Originally posted by Austin
I think I have enough time in the morning to do Static tables before work. Then after work I could do the Aerobic or Anaerobic workout.

Well the morning is the best time to do Static tables and some other exerices so go on and good luck... (Don't eat enything before exerices!)

hmm... as a former pro-runner, I would say, don't do running by heart rate, it will throw you off, since you aren't used to your body as a running machine, unless of course you have had serious experience... do interval running workouts at specific paces based on your vo2 max efforts- which is where you go serious anerobic and you start to go to the "bad place." run like you do your swim workouts... or just do swim workout... I don't think your heart will know the difference, only your legs or your arms. yep yep...

so basicly i should be runing on strong bursts or sprints at vo2 max for 2 to 5 minuts walking resting and sprinting again. and carying on like this instead of a long 1 hour run . right or wrong.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT