Friday, December 14, 2018
  • Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 40,000+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 496,000+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,300+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Russian "Neptune" Speargun

OP
OP
popgun pete

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Australia
The text is in French, but the illustrations are reasonably self-explanatory and at some time I plan to translate it.
Murena-Neptune.jpg

This is the titanium version of the French Esclapez "Murena" which is actually a Russian "Neptune" with different name stickers..

Last edited:
OP
OP
popgun pete

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Australia
Well the Russians on the other end of communications have suddenly gone quiet on me, so maybe I will not be able to purchase a gun after all. That is from the factory, although retail outlets in Russia may have “Neptune” pneumatic spearguns to sell.

OP
OP
popgun pete

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Australia
"Neptune" repair photos from Viktor Doroganich's web-site. Viktor is a world respected expert on underwater arms and produces his own guns (http://www.doroganich.ru/product/176/) which have been discussed here before, notably the "Sea Hunter" titanium SR750 from the eighties. He repairs and reconditions pneumatic guns which owners have either been unable to diagnose or repair themselves. http://www.doroganich.ru/repair/1/
neptune disassembled.jpg

neptune rear end.JPG
neptune disassembled 2.jpg

You can see sand and other debris has entered the rear end of the gun which is open to the environment through the slot in the outer barrel tube that the power operated line release finger folds down into. This rearmost section floods as the "O" ring marks where the pressurized section of the gun terminates. Consequently the "Neptune" guns need this area well rinsed out or problems will occur if you dive in saltwater, which many Russian divers don't do as they have many lakes and rivers to hunt in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
popgun pete

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Australia
The Neptune Tula business must be either selling so many guns that they cannot be bothered selling one to me, or have a siege mentality where they don't want to deal with anybody. No answers to my recent emails and no explanations for their silence. I searched around the Russian forums and hardly anything is written about the Neptune guns and very few guns are showing up on the second-hand market, mainly short models.

OP
OP
popgun pete

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Australia
Often the guns for sale are smaller versions best suited for hunting in rivers and lakes where shots are taken in limited visibility.
Neptune carry bag.jpg

Neptune case set.jpg

I have always thought of the "Neptune" as a factory gun rather than a gunsmith "made to order" gun, but possibly it is more the latter than the former. A search of Russian spearfishing equipment on-line stores has found no mention of "Neptune" guns anywhere.

The overall presentation is very good, although the carry bag top cover is way brighter than I was expecting it to be as I had never seen the external view before finding these images. Interesting that one cover's inscription is in English while the other one is in Russian.

Last edited: