• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sadly another scaremongering article on Freediving...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yeah, and, it's, like, totally dangerous! I mean, did you know that water is essentially di-hydrogen monoxide?! And we let our children SWIM and DIVE in this stuff?!

Oh boy... [emoji20]

Reactions: Johny Depth
I don't think it is a bad article. Doesn't mention the sport as far as I understand. I am just starting to freedive and such warnings are welcome. I grew up snorkeling on vacations and have started doing more dives and didn't know the dangers till this year. I still thought deep quick breathes before diving were a good idea and put more oxygen in the blood. Now thanks to the Internet I know how dangerous and incorrect that was.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Johny Depth
These articles just need to emphasize having someone around to watch you while doing these activities, instead of scaring all the pools into banning everything, and scaring people into not wanting to even try it. There's a whole world out there people! And yes it's not baby-proofed, but just use some common sense!

Well, actually, the pool training is the perfect platform to instill common sense in people who want to start with freediving... There's a reason why we have certified instructors, and it would be great if Insurances and pool operators would acknowledge our consistent efforts to make the sport more safe, rather than only focussing on what's wrong with it [emoji20]

Having worked as a lifeguard, I can say that pools in general are unequipped to deal with freedivers. The difficulty is that accidents like the one in the article happen quickly and quietly, and are easily missed by a lifeguard whose job it is to watch an entire pool full of people. Given the litigiousness of today's society I can't blame pools for not wanting to deal with it. I would put it in the same class of activity as doing complicated dives and flips off a diving board. Basically, you shouldn't do it unless you have people around who can prevent you from making serious mistakes, and quickly recognize when something is going wrong.

The headline is scaremongering, but the message is good. The only problem I see with the awareness organization is the bit about "no long breath holding", and that is only because it is too subjective.

Lifeguards should be trained and informed that freediving is a legitimate sport THAT MUST BE DONE WITH A BUDDY. Pools and lifeguards should allow freedive practice if 2 or more buddies are present.

Reactions: Sorandril
Sadly SWBP.org is, in fact, mostly scare mongering. They and that Tom Griffiths guy are why we’ve lost our rights and children are now being discouraged from swimming underwater which will kill this sport in a generation.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT