• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sailfish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
Ok, just found out there is a decent population of Sailfish around an island near where I'll be working this summer.

Anyone have any tips on tracking one of these badboys down?

Any signs to keep an eye out for?

My current Bluewater Equipment:

Rob Allen 130cm Carbon 2x16mm 7mm Shaft
RA 35 liter float
10ft Bungie
75ft PVC Floatline
Flashers

Rigged for breakaway.

Abri? Rob?

Willer

Anyone who hunts these fish with a spear has huge balls. I caught an 80+ pounder with rod & reel in Mainland Mex., near Puerto Escondido, and it kicked my ass. I cant imagine what it would be like to fight one of these from in the water. Good on ya!

Hawk

Gracias, los testículos son Muy Grandes!

I have already contacted a few people out there,- they've started keeping an eye out. a few of them think I'm crazy, but still want to be invited to the BBQ if I get one :D

Willer

I have big "boys" ???
Me no speak spanish/mexican?

btw mate, you must have missed the Karma button...:D ;)

Hi Amph ,
AHHH , sailies ...:p
Your gear seems fine , I would reccommend a longer line though , I normally use 40 m.
What depth is the water ? I have found most of my sailies around 30m. , cruising in midwater moving upcurrent .
They tend to be very inquisitive and will readily approach flashers . You can often dive straight towards them and they will turn nicely sideways to eyeball you . Don't startle them by hurrying too much ; nice and easy does it ...;)
As always let the fish pass you slightly below you and place your spear slightly from above and behind , entering behind the pectoral and exiting the opposing gillplate . You can also go for a brain or spine shot , the skin and flesh is very tough and you should have little worries about tearouts .
Though not very fast these fish are strong so let it swim , applying moderate pressure on the line . I usually just hang on at the float for the first 20 mins. or so and then gradually start working my way towards the fish .
Like marlin , when they tire it might try sounding . If there are deep pinnacles or stuff it might get hung up on you need to make sure it can't get too deep .
Be careful of touching your sailie with exposed skin , they cause a rash similar to whale sharks ect .
BTW for sailies I usually hang my flashers at 1/3 depth of water .

Hi Abri

I'm counting on your experience to verify this. I heard from a spearo that a saily has a second extra gill area that opens up when the fish exceeds a certain speed, giving a bigger suppy of oxygen to the fish and resulting in the fish putting on the after-burners. is this true?
well, the guy who told me this said that as a result, and considering the tough flesh, try to keep the fish from reaching the powerband. is that the moderate pressure you are speaking of?

cheers
Mark

u also might want to have another gun handy to readily dispatch ur sailer....it might stop swimming after ten mins, take that chance and stone him...

good luck.....

P.S. Cajun sailfish is VERY tasty...

Thanks guys - I have a Beuchat 100cm 1x20mm I intend to used as a secondary.

Good points Abri - the area we'll be hunting is a group of Coral Islands in water up to 90m, but mosty the 30 - 40m range. sand bottom after 40m that goes out forever. Have to make a longer floater....

So 1/3 the depth? Deep flashers.. alrighty - I can still dive 20m so a 10m set should be ok...

If all else fails this place is loaded with Big Spainards, but never had a gun to "reach out and touch" with.

I just hope if I manage to tag one that the Bities don't get it first. the long liners in this area have issues with Tigers....

Mishu - Getting any Canad or Hamour in the 'wait yet? prime season! I was in Kuwait City in December, might try to head back up that way in August after my Contract is done (will be in Abqaiq, KSA)

Thanks guys - as always - good stuff!

Willer

wow!!!! finally i meet someone who has been to Kuwait....

due to the curretn political situation i have had dry feet for the last month....

but it looks like things are going to change around here so im just waiting with my bags ready to hit the water....

what brings u to Kuwait? next time ur here give me a call

anyways...take care..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Griff ,
Sailies have wraparound gillcovers , just like chanos chanos and marlin . This probably is what your mate was referring to . Must admit I don't know how this affects oxygen uptake though .
Anyone ? :confused:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT