• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Salinas, Rep. Dom

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amarillo

Dec 26, 2006
[ame="http://www.veoh.com/videos/v238506RbFB5yDc"]http://www.veoh.com/videos/v238506RbFB5yDc[/ame]

Hi, here is a fisherman village that if you are in the Dominican Republic must visit.

Saludos,

El Amarillo

Reactions: ROBERT REYES
I am not quite sure if the clip is meant to be a sarcastic parody, or if it is a real advertizment, but in the later case the message passed by it is not quite clear. If you are in any relation to the resort or to the author of the clip, you may want to rethink if you really want to show the type of equipment you rent to the visitors - I am not quite sure that many divers would appreciate diving with it. If it is just a joke, and in fact you rent proper equipment, then I think you should try making it more clear.
domrep1.jpg domrep2.jpg

It is just a video of an effort by an entrepreneurial person to build -obviously with very limited financial resources- some kind of a place to stay, live and maybe share with other adventurous spirits the natural beauty of a beach in the Dominican Republic. The flag shown at the beginning is that of Argentina, so I guess thats the nationality of our new member Amarillo. There is no mention of lodging or renting anything. One of the spearos shown in the video is our well known member Roberto Reyes, so I wonder if he has visited the place. BTW, the Dominican Republic is not only a beautiful natural place, but also has the blessing of being populated by one of the most beautiful and agreeable people over the face of the earth.

I agree with the last sentence...been there many times and am sure of the potential for some very good Bluewater hunting. I once saw a Dorado that must have been every bit of a world record and hope to explore more of the DR sometime this year. What are the regulations governing spearfishing...are spearguns permitted or is it similar to the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos...ie, polespears only?
I would also like to add that the photo posted earlier speaks to me of a person determined to get out in the water in spite of very limited resources...in fact, as a working Captain, I collect used dive 'stuff' (masks, fins and snorkels) to give away to kids I meet down-island. The smiles that I get in return defy discription! If anyone wants to send some "stuff" down there, pm me for a mailing address and I'll throw it in the basket on my next run! ...B

Hi, I am Amarillo, from Salinas, RD ( and also argentinean). I think the only rule is that the owner of the FAD or balsa alows you to dive or fish near it, the sport is not very popular and the goverment does not interfere (and for everyone you are crazy ...). If you go to Salinas I could recomend to some fishermen or a friend, Garet Kopeschny that practice BWH and know very good freediving points.
By the way, I am looking for a job in a sailing boat, if you now someone to who send my curriculum, please reply my mail so I can send my resume.
In a few words I am honest, 44 years old with business and teaching experience, a diver, a fisherman with some computer knowledge, and can do any job (deck, cook, photos or video editing, ?) until I learn for a better position ( I don´t have any exam but have the knowledge of Patron de Embarcaciones de Recreo PERT).
Thanks in advance,

Martin Cornu - Amarillo
amarillocornu@hotmail.com

I agree with the last sentence...been there many times and am sure of the potential for some very good Bluewater hunting. I once saw a Dorado that must have been every bit of a world record and hope to explore more of the DR sometime this year. What are the regulations governing spearfishing...are spearguns permitted or is it similar to the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos...ie, polespears only?
I would also like to add that the photo posted earlier speaks to me of a person determined to get out in the water in spite of very limited resources...in fact, as a working Captain, I collect used dive 'stuff' (masks, fins and snorkels) to give away to kids I meet down-island. The smiles that I get in return defy discription! If anyone wants to send some "stuff" down there, pm me for a mailing address and I'll throw it in the basket on my next run! ...B

Welcome Martin,
I was lucky to have lived in the DR for several years around 30 years ago - but I wasn't into freediving then, just bodysurfing. However if I ever get back I'll be sure to contact you!

Trux, the text accompaning the equipment shot says "desbaratado" - it's all toungue in cheek, this means "destroyed" or falling apart" :)

TRUX
I understand you cant read spanish, but I felt insulted by your coments, so I will explain why.
This is Amarillos real life in Dominican Republic, after the bankrupcy of Argentina.
He got there without a cent, and all his knowledge in computers or bachellors degree could do him no good, so he started from scratch, with the gear he could gather to get food, and I mean food to survive, all you saw, was how he started and how he was making by hand everything he had, he left DR because of an injury he sufered .This is got nothing to do with renting or doing money but on the contrary the lack off in a space of time on the life of a great man.
I wont keep going on, I will just say am very proud to call him Amarillo my friend for life, and me and my wife turn into tears when we saw the video.
This is got nothing to do with renting or doing money but on the contrary the lack off in a space of time on the life of a great man.
Amarillo, welcome to DB

TRUX
I understand you cant read spanish, but I felt insulted by your coments, so I will explain why.
Sorry for that, Robert, but that was not at all my intention. It was the exact opposite - I had the feeling that either someone is making bad jokes about the equipment available in DR, or (more likely) that the author tries to advertise a diving resort, but did not realize that showing destroyed equipment is not a good publicity. I was under the impression that the post was commercial because of the initial message - that's why I reacted in the way I did. However, Amarillo contacted me by a PM and explained it to me. I apologize if my comment insulted you, but it was the exact opposite that was my intention. I actually suspected that the video was intentionally or unintentionally insulting.

Reactions: ROBERT REYES
I understand, perfectly, now am the one sorry if I in any way was also
rough or uninformed, I was just defending my friend , by your coments I can see you were just speaking your mind out, but dont worry, seems you just made yourself new friends.
It used to be such a huge world, with so many diferent cultures , this new ways to comunicate just makes it seems so much smaller.

Reactions: trux
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT