• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Salmon

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Huan

Jul 4, 2004
I am posting on behalf of a mate who speared a couple of beauties 9lb and 14 lb he wishes to remain nameless and the spot remains a secret.
The biggest problem he had was the fish pulling off the spear when they were shot, they have very soft flesh and are very powerful, maybe a slip tip or MATC trident might be a better bet.

Attachments

• salmon1sm.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
All I can say is fair play to that Man:martial .
Some of our regulation regarding salmon here in Ireland border on the ludicrous:duh
It seems the fisheries boards want to make salmon fishing a privelige for those willing to pay for it:vangry

Yes , anything that swims in the sea is fair game, as far as I m concerned.I think that they were in fact escapees from a farm so He was probably doing them a favour.
They have been smoked and eaten already.

heh heh - destroy the evidence!

It is technically illegal to spearfish in the sea for salmon or seatrout in the UK. It is also illegal to spearfish at all in freshwater.

I think both should be overturned, but hey - we are supposed to support the rural economy....

....having said that, if I saw asalmon in the sea, you can be sure I'd bag it. I just don't think I could restrain myself!

I am not quite sure how the regulations are applied here in Ireland. I know spearing in Rivers is , shall we say frowned upon however the sea is usually fair game. I mean where these were speared you also get Triggerfish and Bass so I would imagine there shouldn't be any problems. anyway like I say these are escapees so the fishery boards should be thankful that we are cleaning them up....

Nice Fish!!

Im from a place in the states with, in alot of places, pretty clear water and nice trout which I plan on trying to tackle this coming summer....should be good. How deep did he get them in and what were the shots like? Im curious as Ive never even seen a trout (not salmon...but still not too bad)...

Thanks for the pics,
Justin

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…