• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Salt and Fresh

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Erik

Jan 21, 2001
I posted this on the local Altasub forum but figured some here might like to see too.

Pixie (Sherri) and I returned from a trip Vancouver Island for a week- camping in Sidney and getting in the water 3 days. Sherri's first time in cold ocean with waves and currents, and she's getting better at surface diving despite the initial anxiety.

I got a Rockfish while down there in the heavily-angled southern island.

Recently I was out locally and got 3 Burbot and a 36" Pike, 13lbs. Fried him up with some rice last night... yum!

Attachments

• 4fish.jpg
    4fish.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 290
  • pike36.jpg
    pike36.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 279
  • Sherritouque.jpg
    Sherritouque.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 284
  • sidrock.jpg
    sidrock.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 276
Reactions: agbiv and Jon
Thanks!

The water at the BC coast ranges from 8C to surface temps of 16C in a few places. It's about the same rangefor the freshwater lakes I hunt in too, depending on the time of year of course.

Haha, no not the same at all! I wear a 7mm custom Elios for the whole season up here- my 3mm hasn't been worn for a few years.

Mostly don't even suit up in fresh water--some of the deeper dammed reservoir lakes are cold & suit needed 5mm for Scuba but not freediving. Gulf water maybe in the late fall or winter. Never Spring or summer. water is REAL warm! Unfortunatelty that causes red tide (algal bloom) & vibrio in oysters--don't eat'em in a month w/o an R.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT