• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Saltfree Christmas Do

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Oooo, I want to come! Put my down for eveything. Is there a theme for the dressing up? If its cardboard fins, I reckon with enough spray mount you can render the flimsiest paper waterproof....

Hi Folks
A few arrangements for the Saltfree Christmas Do on 10 January...

Firstly - I need your food orders for the Christmas Dinner please

Dinner is £19.95 a head for three courses, includes a free glass of wine or soft drink, coffee, mints and three courses as below. Please let me know what you would like to order (and if you are bringing anyone, their choices too) by Friday 12 Dec

Starter
Chicken Liver Pate on Toast
Prawn and Avocado Salad
Garlic Mushrooms with Crusty Bread (v)
Basil and Tomato soup with Crusty Bread (v)
Goats Cheese and Cherry Tomato Tartlet (v)

Mains
Roast Turkey Traditional Dinner
Steak Supreme - sliced rump steak in a red wine and brandy cream sauce
John Dory - fresh fillets of ish with a garlic and mushroom rice and caramelised onions
Mushroom and Stilton Brioche - sliced flat mushrooms in a white wine sauce served on toasted brioche with crumbled stilton (v)
Chilli Potato Boat - scooped out jacket filed with mixed vegetables in a rich chilli sauce (v)

Puds
Hot chocolate fudge cake with ice cream
Home made apple crumble with custart
Home made sherry trifle with cream
Christmas pudding with brandy sauce

Yum Yum!

Please EMAIL ME and let me know

Don't forget to go present shopping! For those of you who have yet to experience Saltfree Christmas - everyone brings along a wrapped up present, costing no more than a tenner, that you reckon anyone in the group might enjoy and then we all swap..... get your thinking caps on - presents your granny gave you and you don't like don't count. Yes you can make stuff if you like - but only if its good!

And a further reminder - if you want to take part in the Extreme Ironing on Saturday 10 January (which we are doing instead of a normal freedive as our platform will be out of action - plus it helps us get in the Guinness book of records) - you need to register NOW. Info and registration forms are online on the ndac website - Extreme Underwater Ironing Event at the National Diving & Activity Centre. I can't do it for you, I tried!

See you there and merry christmas

thanks

S

You b*stards! Never got a free glass of wine before....

I challenge you all to try and get as good Secret Santa pressies as Pen & I. I think we peaked at the right time last year with the battery powered electric shock game rofl

And for the record, Cecil the Dolphin made it back to Australia in one piece, though his tail's a bit bent now, and Bailie the toy poodle is scared sh*tless of him so he has to be kept fairly high off the ground :D

Please can you EMAIL me - that way it's all in one place - just normal email!

sorry I've confused you with too many groups

and yes - the challenge is on to beat ben and pen at the present competition!

Benny - I'll buy you both a glass of wine next time I see you to make up for your loss.

S

PS Jay - homemade cakes DO count as a good present!

Saturday's dive activity:

0830am - arrive for Extreme Ironing
Sam
Virginia
George M
Brian C
Chris H
Gary McG
Simon P (Angelling)

Dive c 2pm
Sue Ling
Tim
Kate A
Mandy
Jay

Dinner
Sam
Dave
Kattie
Kerry W
Simon P
Kate A (please confirm your meal choice)
Gary McG
John McG
Mandy
Jay
Kate G
Kerri G
Chris H
Suzie H
Sue Ling
Virginia
Tim S
Brian C

If your name's not not on the list - and you want to come - tell me soon!

S

PS I have a couple of spare irons - tell me quick if you need one.

Each ironist needs a board, an iron and a shirt or something to iron!

Hey Sam and everyone,

Happy christmas, sorry I cant make the doo in January am stuck out in Oz. But on the good side I am going to visit Ben after christmas, maybe get a little diving in, and he says its 30deg at the moment, wooohoooo!!!!!!!

Have a great break and hope to see you in the new year sometime!

Tim

Tim, Benny,

You lucky bast***s! 26 degrees / 30 degrees what's the difference eh? Its all the same with guys down under - always at the beach "avin a barby with a couple of tinnies". Although if it was "avin a Barbie with a couple of tinnies" then I'd be worried !!! :)

Me on the other hand, I went diving in Dorothea two weekends ago and it was 7 degrees on the surface and god knows what at depth. My hands didn't work when I got out and my fingers were so frozen I thought that I'd never get my mono off and would have to be carried out of Dorry to have it cut off. When I did finally manage to remove it, my feet were so cold that the rush of blood back to them is an experience that still makes me shudder now. Oh - and for the most part it was raining.

Steve Millard on the other hand has a reputation to live up to and went diving in a string vest, Y-fronts and a knotted hanky on his head. Or so his PR agent likes to remind me.

So to all at Salt Free -

* firstly I hope that the above tale is a cautionary reminder to wrap up warm! You will survive but be prepared with a shoe horn to get your fin off just in case your fingers don't work when you want to get out.
* secondly I'm sorry that I can't be there for the xmas bash, but I will be away with work :( but I'm sure that I'll catch up with most of you at some point in the spring.
* thirdly if Tim and Benny are caught red handed on the beach "avin a Barbie with a couple of tinnies" then be sure to report them to all relevant authorities!

Seasons greetings.

x
Stuart

Reactions: BennyB
Thanks Stuart!

Tim and Benny - you are banned from posting anything else involving temperature readings, beaches or generally "fun in the sun" until at least late April!

Happy New Year you all!

S

xxxx

Me thinks it's gonna be damn cold in Jan for our ironing day! Do thermals work under a wetsuit? lol.

Can't make the do i'm afraid. Don't get too upset though ;)

How does your ironing thing work sounds like good fun :)

Have a top year all of you wherever you are.

x

Update... Conditions have taken a turn for the worse, with water temps plumetting to a chilly 23/24 degrees. Nevertheless, Tim, Pen and I braved it this morning for a bodysurf in the shallows. Some skin was lost whilst getting dumped on the sand, but us Aussies can take a fair beating!

Regards from sunny but treacherous Queensland

Final plan for the weekend....

Saturday dive Plan

Ironing be there at 8.30 am on saturday
Sam
Virginia
George
Brian C
Chris H
Gary
Simon P (safety diver)

Fun Dive at 2pm
Su Ling
Tim S
Kate A
Mandy
Jay
Kattie
Chris H
(and maybe the ironists is we aren't blimin freezing)

Fancy Dress optional!

Dinner Plan
meet at the Boat Inn from 7pm
Sam
Dave G
Kattie
Kerry W
Simon P
Kate A (tbc)
Gary McG
John McG
Mrs John McG
Mandy
Jay
Kate G
Kerri G
Chris H
Mrs Chris H
Su Ling
Tim S
Virginia
Brian C

Any more for any more? Extreme ironing registration is over but we can certainly accommodate more 2pm divers

Sunday
Pontoon demolition day - the more the merrier, please bring crowbars, gloves, eye shields and anything else you think might be useful for destroying and burning all the rotten wood!

See you there - 8.30am if you're ironing, ready to get in at 2pm otherwise

Thanks
Sam

PS If you're coming for dinner don't forget your pressies - something wrapped up, no more than £10 worth that anyone in the gang might like!! We've got ours!

Reactions: apneaboy
Got a pressie for someone, really looking forward to this!! Might need a crowbar to break the ice but hey i'm up for anything new! (never done under ice diving before)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT