• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Salvimar Predathor Vuoto shafts

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Klaurion

Nov 16, 2021
Hello. I’m new to the sport and have just purchased a Salvimar Predathor Vuoto SE 55cm. Has a 7mm shaft.

I’m having trouble sourcing additional shafts to use.

I have seen others suggest using a Mares as a replacement. Is this true? If so, which model and type of Mares?

Any other shafts that will work?

Thanks!

The Mares shaft has the same tail as the Salvimar, but you need an inox shaft as the smaller guns don't have the 17-4 PH Tahitian shafts. Your gun will have a screw on tip which is OK for a gun used around the rocks and is 7 mm x 512 mm. Vuoto guns require a shaft that keeps a smooth surface so as not to damage the vacuum seal, so I suggest you stick to Salvimar shafts. You could use an 8 mm shaft in it, but these tend to be plated shafts in the smaller gun sizes.

The Mares shaft has the same tail as the Salvimar, but you need an inox shaft as the smaller guns don't have the 17-4 PH Tahitian shafts. Your gun will have a screw on tip which is OK for a gun used around the rocks and is 7 mm x 512 mm. Vuoto guns require a shaft that keeps a smooth surface so as not to damage the vacuum seal, so I suggest you stick to Salvimar shafts. You could use an 8 mm shaft in it, but these tend to be plated shafts in the smaller gun sizes.
So does that mean I can or cannot use a Mares type shaft that is 7mm? If I can, do you know which length I would get? The 50-55-60?

I was looking at this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/373748659126?hash=item570527f3b6:g:DNAAAOSwlJ9hXtDC&LH_BIN=1

Should it work?
thanks!

You need the 55 for your gun. Salvimar make shafts for other brands as well as for their own guns, here is a table from their 2021 catalogue with your gun size circled in red.
Salvimar Pneumatic Shafts 2021A.jpg

Note that in the bottom row they list a 512 mm 17-4PH shaft which you could also use. This is spring stainless steel which is more expensive and is the best shaft material, but mainly for use in longer guns. Short shafts are much harder to bend than long ones and so manufacturers don't tend to use it unless the spears are of the Tahitian type (integral tip).

Last edited:
Their shipping takes a long time. 4+ weeks last time I ordered something from them. I actually ordered these exact shafts from them almost 3 weeks ago, and they still haven’t shipped. So that’s why I’m in this predicament.

My trip is in two weeks so I’m looking for something more local.

Unless you have a local dive shop that has stock during COVID-19 there is always going to be a delay. That price is pretty good for a spring stainless shaft, but you know where you live and you now know what to look for.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT