• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Salvimar predathor vuoto

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jenga

Mar 21, 2020
Hello, I just got a salvimar predathor vuoto 100 and the holes on the slider are too narrow for 1.5 mm dyneema. Does anyone know what thickness i should use that can go through the holes? Also if i can change the slider, how do i do that in case i want to raplace it with a metal one? Ive got a picture of the slider attached if it helps.
IMG_20200322_020033.jpg
Thanks in advance!

To replace the slider you have to unscrew the spear tail. To unscrew the spear tail you can use a drill chuck to clamp onto the tail end as this avoids scratching the surface of the metal. Scratches would damage the vacuum muzzle seal. Pelengas make some nice metal sliders, or you could use any of the old style plastic line slides that look like this one. https://www.ebay.com.au/usr/pelengas_store
You need one that is the diameter for the shaft.
s-l1600 (19).jpg

Cressi-line-slide-assembly.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jenga
Depending on where and what you hunt you could always just go with thin mono (1.2-1.4mm). If it gets nicked just change it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jenga
Wait, I just reread this. You seem to be wanting to use +1.5mm dyneema as shooting line?
I would actually advice against that. Hear me out as I am not at all against dyneema. But I think it’s best for a very specific use and that’s when shooting fish that will really try to rip your line through the reef with brute force. Best examples are dogtooth tuna. But the kicker is that you need quite a lot of power and spear mass not only for the bigger fish but also to pull dyneema through the water without slowing the shaft down too much.
I suspect a 7mm, 110cm (?) shaft shot from a Vuoto at about 18-22 bar is not enough power - as a result I think you’ll loose a lot of shaft speed.

I have dyneema shooting line on my biggest airgun which shoots an 8mm, 145cm shaft at 33 bar so a whole lot more mass. This is a gun I made specifically for dogtooth and I still feel like I could do with a bit more shaft mass to carry the dyneema better.
Also, I’ve had dyneema on a Pathos band gun shooting a 7mm, 130cm shaft and while it was doable there was heavy shaft drop after 2.5-3m. Still had some power but just had to take into account shaft drop a whole lot more which makes fast, instinctive shooting less easy.
I actually changed that line back to 1.25mm mono a few days back.

So, my advice would be to go with a thin mono and just change it out once in a while.

Last edited:
Wait, I just reread this. You seem to be wanting to use +1.5mm dyneema as shooting line?
I would actually advice against that. Hear me out as I am not at all against dyneema but only for a very specific use and that’s when shooting fish that will really try to rip your line through the reef with brute force. Best examples are dogtooth tuna. But the kicker is that you need quite a lot of power and spear mass not only for the bigger fish but also to pull dyneema through the water without slowing the shaft down too much.
I’d suspect a 7mm, 110cm (?) shaft shot from a Vuoto at about 22 bar is not enough power.

I have dyneema shooting line on my biggest airgun which shoots an 8mm, 145cm shaft at 33 bar so a whole lot more mass. This is a gun I made specifically for dogtooth and I still feel like I could do with a bit more shaft mass to carry the dyneema better.
Also, I’ve had dyneema on a Pathos band gun shooting a 7mm, 130cm shaft and while it was doable there was heavy shaft drop after 2.5-3m. Still had some power but just had to take into account shaft drop a whole lot more which makes fast, instinctive shooting less easy.
I actually changed that line back to 1.25mm mono a few days back.

So, my advice would be to go with a thin mono and just change it out once in a while.

Thanks for the replies,
Would you recommend using a thinner dyneema? Like 1mm to 1.3 for example?

Thanks for the replies,
Would you recommend using a thinner dyneema? Like 1mm to 1.3 for example?

Definitely. Unless you are shooting around wrecks, really sharp stones or groupers in holes. With a bit of discipline - changing out the line when you see nicks - you can go fairly low on thickness and it really improves shaft speed and flat flight on light spears. I’ve had 1.1mm as the thinnest on my airguns and I think 1.2-1.3mm in a good quality is a happy medium that’s still not too frail.

We have a designated sub forum for airguns and @TOMI, a long time member, engineer and designer or the Tomba vacuum muzzle, has done tests some years back showing the substantial speed increases you get from going to thinner lines.

One other thing about dyneema for shooting line. It has to be a very stiff dyneema to work for the purposes. Otherwise, it’ll tangle quite easily.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT