• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Salvimar pump tip ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

stefpix

Aug 15, 2015
Hi I just received a salvimar predaThor 65.

I did not notice there was a cap on the pump. I tried ad I saw the cap flying.

Looking at the pump tip it looks like just a wide hole without any o ring or something.

I wonder if that is normal or maybe some small piece got lost.

Thanks
Stefano

Hi I just received a salvimar predaThor 65.

I did not notice there was a cap on the pump. I tried ad I saw the cap flying.

Looking at the pump tip it looks like just a wide hole without any o ring or something.

I wonder if that is normal or maybe some small piece got lost.

Thanks
Stefano

Nothing got lost - the Salvimar is a tad different from many others in that the o-ring is embedded in the pump valve in the gun;-)

Nothing got lost - the Salvimar is a tad different from many others in that the o-ring is embedded in the pump valve in the gun;-)

Thank you, I tried the Predathor. shoots nice.
The pump design seems to offer no protection from sand / grit etc. And cap can be easily lost (bright color would have been better. Also the speargun valve cap seems a bit cumbersome to remove and put back. I like the slot you can turn with a coin better.
Nice gun, but some details seem to be unnecessarily complicated.

Thanks for the tip.
Would sears from there brands fit?

Glad to be able to help.
Not sure on your last question - do you mean would other brands' trigger shears (the little hook) work?
If that's the question, I'd say yes but can overlay a Salvi on top of a Mares later and double check.

oops typo, meant the spear / shaft. In case I bend it. In the USA it seems easier to find a Mares or Cressi shaft..

I got a pneumatic as it seems more compact and easier to travel with (but heard that in Mexico only band guns are allowed)
What length band gun (something with 16mm bands) is comparable to a Predathor 65? Also wonder if the power regulator is important (i got the base version without it)

Yes, most other brand shafts would fit, though I think one brand uses a slightly different size tail end. Can't recall which brand though, perhaps Cressi? Someone here will know.
But you can also get some nice third party shafts from Devoto or Sigalsub.

What length band gun (something with 16mm bands) is comparable to a Predathor 65? Also wonder if the power regulator is important (i got the base version without it)

I would say that the size of a pneumatic at least is comparable to the same euro size band gun.

The power regulator is a nice feature if you hunt fish at the bottom, near shore and rocks or in holes. Your better without it if you only hunt pelagic species in open water, as the mechanism in most designs reduces the air volume in the gun a bit.

Jégwan

Last edited:
Thank you. I thought a pneumatic was more powerful than a single band speargun of similar length

Thank you. I thought a pneumatic was more powerful than a single band speargun of similar length

The above might be a little conservative - though I said "at least"...
My 70cm Sten with dry barrel kit is in my opinion a better performer than my 75 euro band gun with 2x16mm bands - and it's overall length is a lot shorter :)

Thanks I purchased a Salvimar Predathor 65, but i got it too late in the season, so no fish yet with it. It seems to shoot way more straight. I also have a Mako Predator 70, a railgun with 2 16mm bands. The Pneumatic seems so much more portable and way faster to reload. I wonder if I will have a use for the Mako. I ordered a Salvimar Vintair 85 at closeout really cheap price, waiting for it.

Which Euro gun do you have? And do you have a use for it?
I heard in some countries like Mexico and Spain pneumatics are not allowed. I was hoping to take my Salvimar 65 to Mexico, as it fits in the luggage.
With the Mako when I load both 16mm bands I get more recoil and feel it more on my wrist than with the pneumatic.

Reactions: Diving Gecko
Besides spearfishing are spearguns an interest on it's own for me - so I have several bandguns and pneumatics in different style and length. A lot more than needed to fulfil my spearfishing needs.

The 75'er is a 100 Gold from André superguns in Bali. I also have a 65 Dapiran mini Jedi, a 90 Riffe Euro travel, a 115 C4 carbon and a 85 homemade roller gun.
I the beginning I only used band guns. Now I mostly use pneumatics. But I still use the band guns when I find it most suitable.

My choice of gun depends on what kind of spearfishing I'm doing, which spices I hunt and if it's in daylight or in the night. I use the pneumatics when I dive from the shore at night and mostly the roller or one of the other bandguns when I hunt from boat and in daylight. This is just my personal preference. I also like to take each gun out once in a while to give them justice.

When I travel I choose to bring what I find most suitable for where I'm going. And yes; you need to check the local rules and regulations.
Spain have their own pneumatic history with the Nemrods. I have bought pneumatics from Spain and I also have had one with me on holiday there. So I believe pneumatics still are legal in Spain.

Hope you will like the Vintair 85. Good luck with it.

Jégwan

Reactions: Diving Gecko
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT