• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

salvimar vent air plus

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mighty kc

Dec 23, 2010
Anyone have any experience with this gun? the handle resembles the Seac sub Asso, but there is some type of adjustment for water expulsion at the muzzle. I was wanting a 135, and the Seac is the only one that I know of until I saw this one. Heard a lot of good things about the seac, and I want to get somthing that I can get replacement parts for here in the states.

I don't know much about the gun specifically (I'm not using airguns anymore, except for my 20years old Medisten) but reviews I've seen so far are all positive.

As for spare parts availability in the USA, I reckon that Salvimar has its own distribution network in the good ol' USA too: you may want to check SalviMarUSA :: Home

The Salvimar "Vintair" is a revamp of the Scubapro "Magnum", but I don't know how much of it has been changed internally. New rear cap and muzzle are the most obvious external changes.

The most quirky aspect of the "Magnum" is the reversed action of the power regulator, the control knob forwards and down in the gate is high power, while up and back is low power. It is normally the other way around as most pneumatic guns with this rear handle layout use a transfer port for the power regulator plug as well as a completely separate non-return valve to pass air into the partitioned off front section of the air reservoir when the transfer port in the partitioning bulkhead is closed. On the Scubapro "Magnum", which was manufactured in Italy, these two elements are combined into one valve which opens momentarily to act as a non-return valve and is held open to act as the full power shot setting. Rather than a plug it uses a curved plastic segment with a rubber backing that falls back to cover the transfer port once the support rod holding it away is released, that support rod being the power regulator control shaft. That is why the power regulator function is reversed, it operates a cover rather than a plug, the cover being an upstream valve when it is pushed open against pressure in the front section of the gun, unlike the plug arrangement which works as a downstream valve.

It will be interesting to learn if Salvimar, who may have manufactured the original "Magnum" for Scubapro ("Salvi & Figli" used to make pneumatic gun components, any connection?) have retained the reversed power regulator in the new "Vintair Plus" version of the gun.

Last edited:
thanks guys for the information. I am relatively new to pneumatics, and currently use a cyrano 850 and sten 100. I want a long gun to round out the arsenal, and a 130 comes in handy when the vis is good here in the northern gulf. what about the load assist lever for longer pneumatics? I load the sten 100 with no issues, but I could see that it could be a problem with a 130 cm gun Who is a supplier of these? Pete, thanks for the info, you are a wealth of useful information on the subject of pneumatic spearguns.

Hi KC,

Yourself and pete might be interested int this pescasub article on the vintair from the pescasub forums using google translate.
Google Translate

Loading my asso 135 is easy, infact loading the longer airguns is safter as it is harder to shoot yourself.:duh

You need to attach a suitable length of rope the the holes on the loader. you grab the bottom of the hoop and pull the spear done into the gun untill you can reach up and grab the loader then push the spear the rest of the way in.

Pete I confess you've hit my ignorant bone about the Salvi & Figli as a contractor Scubapro and its eventual affiliation to the newer SalviMar company.

But I guess you might well be spot on.

The "Salvi & Figli" and "Salvimar" companies are based in the same smalltown. And from what I'm reading, also, the Vintair does have the power reducer switch working opposite to the "normal".

I checked the Pescasub reference out and the "Vintair" has a new plastic piston, not surprising as the older "Magnum" had an all-metal piston body. The new orange rear cap holds on with four small screws and does not screw in as it did before with the slimmer disc version used in the previous plastic rear cap. You would not want to lose those small screws!

There are two transfer ports, but if you look closely each has a molded strut running through it which interferes with the flow, so there are really four small holes, two on each side, exactly the same as it is on the "Magnum". Air flow may be improved, but maybe not a lot in it, plus after a "low power" shot the power regulator cannot easily be moved due to the pressure differential then existing between the inner barrel and main tank, so you need to reload the gun to subsequently switch to "high power". That is a consequence of the upstream valve system, unlike the commonly used downstream valve system where internal gun pressure always blows the plug out of the transfer port, the pressure differential existing after a "low power" shot in the upstream valve system clamps the valve shut, resisting your efforts to open it. All you need to do is load the gun or put some more air into it with the hand pump to remove the pressure differential, then you can move the power regulator again. To avoid this happening you just need to make the last shot of the day at "full power", that equalizes pressure in the gun's two chambers. Something that "Vintair" owners should bear in mind as that gun will work in exactly the same way as the "Magnum" did, the mysterious "jamming" of the power regulator knob had me mystified at first until I figured out what was happening and is nothing to worry about.

The new muzzle looks to be the big improvement as the relief ports are much larger and there are two steps in the muzzle nose allowing different size stop rings or washers for the use of either 7 mm or 8 mm diameter shafts. I still use a "Magnum 95", it is black as the ace of spades except for the white trigger and safety slide, so the orange parts on the "Vintair" may improve the visibility of the loaded gun if it is dropped (in depths where orange is still visible), while the power regulator "Vintair Plus" gun has a grey handle replacing the black handle on the single power "Vintair" gun. I assume "Vintair" is derived from the words "Vintage Air".

The Scubapro "Magnum" was intended to be a better quality gun than the Mares "Sten" it was then based on, so it was and is a good quality gun and great to see it available again under the Salvimar brand. Scubapro dropped the line when they quit the spearfishing scene, concentrating on their scuba diving customers instead. I expect that most parts will be interchangeable, except for that rear cap, although the old cap may screw into the pump threads on the new gun if you don't like the new cap.

Pete,

If you were to decide between the salvimar and the seac sub asso, which would you choose ? (135 CM)

The Asso is a good gun but comes with a poor spear and rope.

The vintair has a better muzzle, comes with a spring stainless speed spear. and is perhaps better quality all round.

On my asso i have swaped many parts for mares and purchased a after market spear.

Pete,

If you were to decide between the salvimar and the seac sub asso, which would you choose ? (135 CM)

I would buy the Salvimar "Vintair Plus", based on my existing familiarity with the Scubapro "Magnum", but otherwise I would be checking out the relative pricing of the two guns. You will probably have to pay more for the "Vintair Plus" over the "Asso", whether you consider the extra money is worth it depends on what you value in a speargun, from the purely utilitarian aspect there may not be much between them, so it may come down to your styling preference. The "Magnum" and now the "Vintair" have a deliberately bulked up appearance compared to the "Asso", which is much like the earliest "Sten" in shape. I think the bulkier styling was to give the guns a "heavy duty" appearance and the design and finish of the internal parts reflected that as well.

Thanks for the info. I am assuming that replacement o rings should be easy to find for the Salvimar?

Thanks for the info. I am assuming that replacement o rings should be easy to find for the Salvimar?

You will have to ask the people who sell you the gun, but they should be available as kits, although you should not need new ones for some time.

I don't know if I have missed it in this thread but I don't think so - one nice thing about the Salvi gun is that it already has a 1.5mm trigger pin, so it should be a lot smoother than a Cressi or Asso.

From the catalogue, which is quite nice and can be downloaded: "The piston ø1, 5mm and the geometry of the trigger mechanism, ensure smooth and soft stroke of the trigger"

Hi KC,
Loading my asso 135 is easy, infact loading the longer airguns is safter as it is harder to shoot yourself.:duh

I second this. My Seac 90 muzzle sits right under my face whereas my One Air 120 is pretty much level with my head, so easier to keep away from it. Feels a whole lot better. I have the extender loader from Omer, only because I did not have time to make one myself which should be easy enough. I did modify it a bit and as soon as I have some pics, I will upload them.
I grabbed some pics some weeks back from the great Italian Pescasub forum and I am taking a chance posting them here... I do hope it is alright. Unfortunately, I can't remember who posted them.

Attachments

• LOADER_01.jpg
    LOADER_01.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 294
  • LOADER_02.jpg
    LOADER_02.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 300
  • LOADER_03.jpg
    LOADER_03.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 274
  • LOADER_04.jpg
    LOADER_04.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Here are some pics of the Omer Extender Loader and my small modification to it. I "rigged" it with dyneema but fitted bungees also. The idea is that I don't have too much line dangling around and when I am not using it, I wrap it around my wrist. The bungee helps keep it in place there. Pics should explain it all. Otherwise, shoot.

Attachments

• DH_LOADER_01.jpg
    DH_LOADER_01.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 297
  • DH_LOADER_02.jpg
    DH_LOADER_02.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 286
  • DH_LOADER_03.jpg
    DH_LOADER_03.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 304
  • DH_LOADER_04.jpg
    DH_LOADER_04.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 303
  • DH_LOADER_05.jpg
    DH_LOADER_05.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I am new to pneumatics over 100cm, and the loader info helps. I will post some pictures of the Vent air plus whe I get it.

Here is a direct comparison photo of the Scubapro "Magnum" and the Salvimar "Vintair Plus". Note the oiling point for the power regulator shaft, attention to detail like this was a feature of these guns. The rear cap difference is the most obvious change in shape. You can just see the plus "+" sign in the power selector gate, particularly on the grey handle Salvimar gun, to indicate "full power" is forwards and downwards in the gate. Here both guns are seen at the "low power" setting which is where muzzle loading uses the "easy load" feature with multiple pushes used to load the gun if you cannot make relatch on the first push, which is useful on a wet barrel gun as you don't need to load in one continuous motion to preserve a vacuum in the inner barrel.

Last edited:
The magnum 105 and the Salvimar are Identical! I did not realize this until you showed comparison pictures. was the scubapro made in Italy also?

The magnum 105 and the Salvimar are Identical! I did not realize this until you showed comparison pictures. was the scubapro made in Italy also?

Yes, it was made in Italy. My guess is it is being made by the same company who made it for Scubapro. A lot of other Scubapro products were made in Italy and probably that is the same situation today.

Here are some pics of the Omer Extender Loader and my small modification to it. I "rigged" it with dyneema but fitted bungees also. The idea is that I don't have too much line dangling around and when I am not using it, I wrap it around my wrist. The bungee helps keep it in place there. Pics should explain it all. Otherwise, shoot.

The Bungie Idea is a good one!

I just use rope for my loader extension, i find it simpler and the rope bites into your glove reducing possible slipping. i used to had a piece of stainless tube as the extra handle but chucked it away when it slipped out of my hand one day when loading (being a longer gun it was not near my head).

I also wrap the loader(from my 115 asso) around my wrist when i am not using usinmg it. I got that idea from watching youtube vids of euro divers with the airbalete. For the longer loader for my 135 i just push it under my weight belt.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT