• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Samba Video

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

alexrom1207

Nov 28, 2007
I had started a thread ( http://forums.deeperblue.net/safety/76848-proper-rescue-procedure-black-out.html ) a while back about proper rescue technique for SWB. I ran across this video on Youtube during my daily search for spearfishing, pesca in apnea, etc... . It's a video of SAMBA in a pool. I personally have never seen one and this is the first video I've seen of it. It's pretty scary and I thought it would be good for those of us who are new to this so that we know what to expect. And also a good video for people who train by themselves (hopefully it will persuade you to ALWAYS train with a partner). I'm a beginner and tend to think that things like this will never happen to me, a bad mindset to have because it may encourage me to take unnecessary risks. Videos like this remind me that, no matter what my ego thinks, I'm still just as mortal and vulnerable as everyone else. These guys look like pros and it happened to them; so now I know to be extra careful.

If people want to chime in with any personal experience about blackouts or samba (how it happened, how it felt (before, during, and after), how often these things happen, what you've done to minimize the risks etc...) all that information would be appreciated. Thanks

Another Video --> Samba at 1:10

Apparently only non-english speaking people can get Sambas so perhaps I'm safe ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps a stupid question but I'd really like to know. Can you get a Samba while doing a dry static?

those are great videos if you have never seen what they look like in real life. they often happen to the pro's because they push and can suppress urges that would often have given a beginner "give up" signs long ago. Unfortunately for you, me and everyone in this sport, is that they can also happen to beginners, in deep water, shallow water, warm water, cold water, good days, bad days..... You can take several measures to make sure they are less likely to happen to you, but there will always be a great risk that they will. A good buddy is a great way of surviving them, without one you will almost certainly drown. You can blackout in dry statics, samba too. Do them lying down or siting in comfortable, safe place.

Good luck

Saw one in our class a week and a half ago- it was pretty amazinig. Before he blacked out- the static before, when he came up he seems slightly confused for a brief moment. I mentioned it to my dive buddy. The next static- he blacked out and had a shorter breath hold. It was kinda interesting- as soon as HIS safety took his mask off and the air hit his face he started to breathe. He was only out for about 5 sec. but it seemed like 2 mins. After he came to- he was talking like nothing had happened and didn't even know he had BO. I don't think he really believed us when we told him. Kinda Scary.

Last edited:
yeah I was really amazed at how quickly the divers responded when the "safetys" (I assume that's what they are called from your post Wopperhead) blew across their faces. I expected it to be a slow recovery with lots of confusion, like from a standard concussion or impact blackout. The diver, you can especially see it in the first video, comes to and his eyes, which were all rolled back, come forward and he looks alert and just looks around at everyone staring at him...I'm sure wondering how it happened. Scary to think that this could happen, even in very shallow water or pool training and could end your life! Definitely makes me think twice before training solo.

Believe me you can't remember a blackout..I had it once and i'm a beginner..i was doing dynamic personal best and the last thing i remember is the sight of the last wall like 1m in front of me..and then my buddy (God bless him) talking to me..he told me that i had a blackout..in the beggining it was so scary but after few minutes we started laughing..it was better to laugh than to be scared and give up the freediving.."Thanks" to this thing started to take abigger care about the safety and films such as those really help to prepare yourself and not to panic..
CHeerse

Whucash no worries about me getting scared and quitting the sport. I fly because if I didn't fly then I couldn't travel, and then life would not be worth living. I understand the plane could crash, that it is completely out of my control, and that if it does crash I will die....but I'm okay with that because living life afraid that something bad might happen to you isn't really living at all. Same with diving, I understand a shark could attack me, I understand if he attacks me I may die, BUT QUIT DIVING!!!!! ARE YOU F#$#$# SERIOUS!!! NO WAY :) We all take the risk that something bad may happen, but like you said preparing and not panicing may keep up alive to dive another day...plus having a good buddy to save our a$$ if something bad happens. Thanks for the input and glad you're still here to share the lesson. Cheers

Whucash no worries about me getting scared and quitting the sport. I fly because if I didn't fly then I couldn't travel, and then life would not be worth living. I understand the plane could crash, that it is completely out of my control, and that if it does crash I will die....but I'm okay with that because living life afraid that something bad might happen to you isn't really living at all. Same with diving, I understand a shark could attack me, I understand if he attacks me I may die, BUT QUIT DIVING!!!!! ARE YOU F#$#$# SERIOUS!!! NO WAY :) We all take the risk that something bad may happen, but like you said preparing and not panicing may keep up alive to dive another day...plus having a good buddy to save our a$$ if something bad happens. Thanks for the input and glad you're still here to share the lesson. Cheers

I totally agree with you..Carpe diem!

Ha plane crash. I love flying! If the beast crashes, I'd be in for one helluva ride!

Yeah John but as an airplane technician, if the airplane crashes....wouldn't it be your fault anyway?

99% of airplane crashes are due to pilot error. Techs are a lot more careful, and regardless of that persons skill level, someones work is checked by at least one other person, we call it "doubling". Airlines especially have very strict regulations on maintenance as well.

Greetings to all. I have to laugh that my first post on DB is non diving related. I would have to disagree that Airplane Techs are more careful (than pilots I am assuming). I believe pilots have a very personal and vested interest in the safe conclusion of a flight. The aircraft techs I know are all very professional and safety is the priority. The same goes for pilots. After all...pilots are the first ones to the scene of the crash.....whatever the cause.

I'm very excited to begin my exploration of freediving and think this site and the people who contribute are fantastic. Great learning tool.

Bill

That first one looked more like a blackout to me. A Samba can precede a Blackout and quite often does. Look at the bit where the camera zooms in and his eyes are looking blank and staring upwards - that's a classic sign that someone's blacked out. A blackout can occur even with the eyes are still open, which occurs all the time - if someone's unconscious it doesn't necessarily mean they slump over and look asleep.

Perhaps a stupid question but I'd really like to know. Can you get a Samba while doing a dry static?
Yes you can, there's no difference as to whether you're in the water or dry when it comes to sambas and blackouts.

Cheers,
Ben

I still feel like a newbie in this sport and still learning things with every dive. I have had a samba and a BO when doing DNF (but never in DYN). Both happened after surfacing and I couldn't see them coming when doing my last stroke (that might be from lack of experience or it might be a warning signal that I have to look out for). I've had a BO when doing static to 7 minutes and after 6 minutes the time went by pretty fast (which probably is a warning signal) and I can't really remeber anything after 6.30 or 6.40 (however, I still showed ok-signs). These experiences have definitely made me a better freediver, as in knowing my self and how I react to maximum dives and also being a better safety for my buddy. I do not aim for LMC or BO, but I sometimes do want to push me to see what I am able of and that means getting really close to BO. I would never consider doing a maximum dive with an unexperienced buddy who I am not sure can handle the situation.

So as I see it, never dive alone, learn and train how to handle potentially dangerous situations and stay safe!

Take care!
Christian

That's some very good information Chrillepille, thanks for adding. I never thought of a blackout after surfacing. I suppose that your body is in control that far along and theres not much you can do about it.

I noticed your post count is just beginning, so welcome to the forum as well!

Those are some good numbers by the way, what is your personal best in dynamic with fins?

Safe diving, -John

I've done 105 with fins. It is very seldom I find the motivation for a maximum, but the satisfaction and pride I feel when doing something I've never done before makes me happy and all smiles :inlove

I have now experienced a samba/black out on both ends of the spectrum(safety and victim) all in the same dive. We were spearing at a wreck in 100ft. of water. I ascended from 88ft after being down a little too long. When I reached the surface I knew I wasnt doing well so I signaled my partner who quickly grabbed me. I sambad for a few seconds and according to him I went out for a few seconds more. After that I decided to take it easy and just keep an eye on my partner so he could take a few drops. on his last dive I noticed that he had been down a little long as he was trying to untangle his gear from the wreck. I met him at the surface and he immediately started to samba, his eyes rolled back in his head and he started pretty violent convulsions. It only lasted 5-6 seconds but it seamed like an eternity.

It was definitely scarier being on the safety side of it. Blacking out wasnt bad at all, in fact it was kind of peaceful.

A few things I thought about after the fact...

I was so concentrated on holding him up out of the water (difficult to do holding gear and wading at the same time) i neglected to take his mask off (clear/protect the airway).

Second mistake I neglected to take off his weight belt.

Im glad this experience was relatively minor as I learned a lot. Hopefully there will not be another experience like this but if so... i hope to be a little more prepared.

Good Job being there for him Blaiz. Yeah the mask is a huge part- if you were to take that off he would of "came to" sooner. Glad no one got hurt and it's good to see you guys practice the "one up, one down" -

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT