• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

San Diego desert hunters

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

petrip74

Jul 12, 2003
Looking at the great water quality lately, and abundance of beautiful no-game fish, some must be out there. Two weeks ago I shot a 4.6 lb sheepshead and did not realize that is was recently deemed protected. Sure, I brought it home, cleaned it, and it made exceptional tacos. Poor dumb bastard. That will teach me to keep up on current regs- to the minute this time. When I realized what I had done I was very bummed.... not because I have total confidence in the CDFG, but because I don't need it to survive. If they say so I'll abide. I'm going up to nor cal for christmas/new years to repent for my mistake. Maybe a GWS will render instant karma.
People say hunting here is done in the winter. I do not believe that, but I'll be sure on the regulations next time.
Have any of you So Cal hunters checked the take list lately, it changes month to month. From what I have heard, out at the kelp 45' halibut are feeding. I've been on some kick-out dives to the outer kelp and seen LOTS of fish------when do the elders ride in?
Phil

Last edited:
Hi Phil,
Yep, the season has closed for some types of game fish: Monday our guest speakers were the local DFG boys. They advise checking the website or calling if you want up to the minute info. If you see a species listed open for taking on the website and copy the page (keep it in your car) and for some reason the season on that variety closes within 3 days, you won't get cited IF YOU HAVE THE PAGE. The idea is to prevent someone continuing fishing months after a closure...not nitpicking. You're probably okay, esp. with the rockfish re-opening/closing/ etc. that has happened lately. Don't quote me, but do feel free to contact the local DFG office, they are friendly guys and are out there for everyone's benefit.

BTW: Most locals who aren't lobster hunting are going to Mexico...I'll keep you posted, as some friends are due back from a hunt tonight. :cool:

Last edited:
Desert hunters.....

Hi Phil,
The Mexico report is from 2 freedivers who hunted off the Bahia de los Angeles area:
Viz was roughly 40 feet :inlove
They got Sheepshead and Calico.
:p
--- gill-net fishing is still happening off the Mexican coast, I'm sorry to say.

On another note, GREAT swell happening off the coast at Black's and Torrey Pines yesterday and this AM.
Not much power, but sweet form, really pretty...for you surfers out there :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT