• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sand stuck between lens and silicone

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gwpcasey

Jan 20, 2005
Hi there,

I let someone use my mask on the weekend and they somehow got sand on the inside of the mask to wedge itself between the silicone and the lens. It doesn't seem to have caused any immediate damage as I went off for a dive immediately afterwards with no ill-effects, but I want to get the sand out asap.

What would you suggest I do? I'm reluctant to stick anything pointy in there in case I cause a tear but I'm not sure what else to do. Do you think it will wiggle its way out eventually?

Thanks for any help.

Gordon.

Reactions: sinkweight
This is just me being sneaky and replying to myself in the hope that someone will see my original post, take pity on me and send some advice.

For what it's worth, the sand hasn't come out and I've tried using the mask, soaking it for a while etc.

Thanks again,
Gordon.

I'll help you out with the old "refreshing the thread on the main board" deal.

What mask do you have? Can you dissassemble it (did I spell that right? it doesn't look right)?

My sporasub/mares/whatever mask has a little bridge on the top that allows very, VERY delicate handling when operating on the lens around the silicon. Haven't attempted it myself yet...but I accidentally broke my mask while trying to shake water out of it, so I might do some other "consumer quality tests".

I know this doesn't help that much, but at least I got your thread back in the mix without having to do it yourself. :)

Because that's sad.

just kidding.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it :)

In other words, if it doesn't leak, don't mess with it. Most masks are easy to "open" and remove the lenses etc, but if you don't know how to do it, it can be tricky and lead to "accidents".

Hey Panos...

If it ain't broken, don't fix it :)

a rule that I live by, typically. It rings quite true in my ears. No, it's not the Tinnitus.

I personally don't predict a problem with the sand in the seal, unless it's leaking water.

By the way, Panos...

What a great and wholesome avatar. That's probably the best I've seen so far (no disrespect to other members, of course. I just have a thing for generational aquatic heritage).

Speaking of avatars - sink, I'd never clicked on yours before... that's a lovely seal you've got there. Ahem.

Thanks for the replies, by the way. I'll take your advice but this is going to annoy me. I agree that non-broken things should not be fixed, but I also like to fiddle.

(Can't believe you double-double-s'ed the disassemble, you of all people, I'm shocked. Given the latitude you expressed to my micturate faux-pas though, I'll have to just acknowledge that we can all slip up every now and then.)

Gracias a todos,
Gordon.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT