• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Say No to Sensitive Trigger Mechs!!!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Smacked it in the tail with the Tahiti. Nearly lost it as well. Managed to grab it just as the shaft ripped out if the flesh.

They swim very erratically changing directions all the time. Three hours it took me catch one fish.

Originally posted by shaneshac
I'd like to think that with a less sensitive mech, my convulsion would not have shot the gun and I would have had a dead easy shot on that fish.

Yeah, you keep thinking that... :hmm

;) sven

They are the smallest of the Tuna species. The one I caught was around 3 kilos. They were all about 3 kilos in the school. They grow to about 6 kilos max in this part of the world.

Originally posted by shaneshac
[I ahve lost many Bonito for not being completely ready. By ready i mean finger on the trigger/arm extended eyeing down the shaft. The only way you can contemplate catching these fast moving fish.

Hmmm Didn't you post that you were diving submerged barges for Sea Bass when your incident happend?

I'm not looking to cause trouble here but I don't think anyone can really come up with a defendable excuse for developing a habit of diving with their finger on the trigger of a loaded speargun especially if they know there are other divers in the water. IMHO it's just a bad habit period. I still contend that it is better to try to keep the trigger finger extended along the guard so if one has an involuntary muscle contraction there is no steel flying. It's quick enough to move the finger to the trigger when you are in a position, ready to shoot and you are sure of what's in front of or about to be in front of ones' gun.

Yeah, what Sven said too.

Guy

Last edited:
I know that for safety purposes the trigger should be kept away from the trigger. Thanks for reminding me.

Remember I only put my finger on the trigger once I am lying on the bottom awating the fish. When swimming I hold the gun in the middle choking the bands. This serves 2 purposes. It stope the bands vibrating and scaring the fish and if the gun missfires at least the power will be reduced. I would still mess my suit though!!!

Again I repeat that If your finger was not on the trigger you would have absolutely no chance with these fish.

Shaneshac,

I did not intend to pick on you, I just saw the need to make a point.

Cheers, Guy

we have bullet tuna in our waters, but your little tuna is really nice looking :D

There was a big school of sardines and the tuna where in a feeding frenzy. It was a bit like "The Blue Planet" documentary.

Awesome and I would have preferred to have a video camera than a gun. (Maybe not hmmmmmm!)

yesterday I found my ultimate documentary tool in a very old (from the year 1982) drawer. I'll be the new documentary master :D :D :D

Last edited:
All you need to do is connect the camera to the trigger mech so it takes a pic right beforwe you shoot.

These are the ultimate pictures (like the ones recorded in your brain of your best catches)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT