• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Scalloptuous

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sinkweight

fat flotilla
Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Hey y'all!

I was bored so I thought I might share a simple little recipe, which is quite healthy for those sticking to a low fat (er, lower fat?) diet.

It involves my favorite little buggers, scallops.

This can be done in under 20 minutes if you prepare all the ingredients. I just kind of pile'em in when I'm done choppin' and spicing. Like all my B.S. recipes, you just add to taste and whatever.

Start out with a deep skillet. Now, get it goin' with some decent heat (medium high, to high). Non-stick your pan with a teaspoon of olive oil. Quarter lots of small, sweet tomatos throw'em in to get a tomato sauce thing happenin'. Drop a small, minced clove of garlic to get the kitchen smelling good. Add a very small pinch of sea salt (optional). When you think everything's sizzling niceley, and the garlic starts to brown, add some water to get them stewing and keep'em from sticking to the skillet. Add slivered peppers (red, orange, yellow) to the lot. Stir occasionally. Cover with lid to keep in moisture.

Get however many giant sea scallops you and your guests can fit in your stomach and put them in a bowl to dust with sweet paprika, ground cumin seed, cayenne pepper, basil, thyme, oregano, and tiny dash of cinnamon. Squeeze a good amount of lime juice in there to giv'em something to drink, and mix it all up so that they're all evenly coated.

Get back to that bubblin' pile of tomatos and peppers. They should be rather soft after about 6-10 minutes of heavy heat. Add no-salt, organic chickin broth, or vegetable broth to taste. Dried broth is ok, sometimes a little better to quicken the tomato sauce reduction, which reminds me to tell you to leave the lid off the skillet from now on.

Some people like their sauce thick, some don't. Again it's up to you. When you have the sauce to the consistency you prefer (tomatos should at least be broken down in a chunky, but stewey state, with skins detatched. Get that lycopene goin'! It's good for your prostate, fellers!) This is when I add a hefty amount of crushed pepper, not that ready-made pepper from the shakers. I like a good, multicolored peppercorn mixture. Remember to stir!

Now add those good-for-nuthin' scallops, marinade and all. There should be enough tomato stew to spoon over the tops of the scallops that aren't fully submerged in the bubbling tomatos. I like to make sure mine are fully cooked, being that we get awfully large scallops down here. What did you expect? It's TEXAS, darnit! I leave mine in for about 8 minutes or so, folding the mixture over to evenly distribute cooking heat. Now turn off that heat. Let simmer, stirring once or twice while table is prepared and bowl and cutting board are washed.

Makes a simple, light, healthy lunch with healthy vegetables and spices. Best served with a small glass of red wine to get some polyphenols in your system. Light enough to serve with white wine, though. I don't drink when I eat. It tends to take the punch out of my stomach enzymes and more food gets converted to fat when that happens.

Well there ya go. Now I know what I'm having for lunch today.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT