• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Science fair project

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

andreac

Jun 2, 2019
Hi,
I am doing a a teachnology project on Spear guns and am looking for your expertise, advice and comments.
My brother recently bought a spear gun, despite correct technique, he is tooo weak to use it in the Ocean. I think it was too big and heavy for him. The guy at the shop didnt really know the best one for him,
Have any of you come across a simulator that allows people to test Spear guns before purchasing - Or a way to practice loading the spear gun out of water- but is still safe?
If I were to build such a thing, what are your thoughts on what it would need ?
Thank you
Jax

The best approach is to start with a short gun and try loading that by cocking it and then releasing it by unhooking the wishbone from the shaft notch. The problems occur when trying to “run before you can walk” by buying a big gun at the very beginning. Everyone has to start off somewhere, so buy a so-called beginner’s gun and master that. There is a decision to be made whether eurogun style or cocking stock style. Cocking stock guns are easier to load because you load them off your hip, but not everyone is the same as some guys can load a difficult gun straight off if they are big and strong with a long reach. However one needs to practice on a gun that suits them, not anyone else, as after shooting it they will be the one who is loading it.

A good gun to start with is a Biller or Sea Hornet gun, either a tube gun or a timber gun. They are not really beginner's guns as plenty of experienced spearfishermen use them as well, but they are very straightforward in their operation. As for a eurogun companies such as Salvimar and Beuchat make simple euroguns. Whatever you start with and you like the sport you will soon be buying other guns for other jobs and conditions as no one gun can do everything, but then it depends on what you are hunting and where.

Making a gadget to replicate a gun for loading practice is not really worth it as basic spearguns are relatively inexpensive.

Last edited:
Don't try loading a speargun out of the sea. A simulator should be easy enough for you to work out. E .g . No spear, a piece of wood with a hole for a bulk rubber loop and a notch to load the wishbone too. Just load to notch, pause then unload.

I doubt if you brother is too weak but if he is I suggest some appropriate strength exercises with weights or bands e.g. various types of rowing. More likely he lacks technique. There are various techniques, there are subtle details worth studying carefully - YouTube is your friend on this ;)

Consider fitting easier bands, one 14mm band to start with. Later perhaps 2.

Personally I wouldn't recommend Biller or Sea Hornet. Key thing is usually choosing the most appropriate speargun length for the visibility conditions that you will most often encounter. The brand & models are less important but some designs and specs work better than others for specific conditions.

Finally, there are loading aids available. Check out Rob Allen's on YouTube. Some Spears provide a resting pin/fin/notch to allow resting part way.

I only mentioned the Biller as it a cocking stock gun and they are not very expensive second hand. They have a safety that works and in 40 years I never had one shoot without pulling the trigger. If the gun is not outside and only pointed at a wall then there is no danger if he does not touch the trigger. Just don't leave the gun in the cocked to shoot state.

Reactions: Mr. X
Don't try loading a speargun out of the sea. A simulator should be easy enough for you to work out. E .g . No spear, a piece of wood with a hole for a bulk rubber loop and a notch to load the wishbone too. Just load to notch, pause then unload.

I doubt if you brother is too weak but if he is I suggest some appropriate strength exercises with weights or bands e.g. various types of rowing. More likely he lacks technique. There are various techniques, there are subtle details worth studying carefully - YouTube is your friend on this ;)

Consider fitting easier bands, one 14mm band to start with. Later perhaps 2.

Personally I wouldn't recommend Biller or Sea Hornet. Key thing is usually choosing the most appropriate speargun length for the visibility conditions that you will most often encounter. The brand & models are less important but some designs and specs work better than others for specific conditions.

Finally, there are loading aids available. Check out Rob Allen's on YouTube. Some Spears provide a resting pin/fin/notch to allow resting part way.
Thank you

Reactions: Mr. X
I only mentioned the Biller as it a cocking stock gun and they are not very expensive second hand. They have a safety that works and in 40 years I never had one shoot without pulling the trigger. If the gun is not outside and only pointed at a wall then there is no danger if he does not touch the trigger. Just don't leave the gun in the cocked to shoot state.
Thank you

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT