• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Scientists invent oxygen particle

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thats neat and everything but you would still have to get rid of the carbon dioxide in your bloodstream somehow.

Would CO2 bubbles form in your alveoli as the concentration increases in the blood? In that case, you could exhale the CO2 as it builds up in your blood, just as usual.

I'm no doctor or physiologist but I believe the hemoglobin in your blood needs to chemically bond with Oxygen molecules in exchange for carbon dioxide, it can't just shed CO2 voluntarily. Having an injection of an O2 solution into your bloodstream could theoretically replace aspiration but I am skeptical of the idea of our lungs just spontaneously filling up with CO2 to be exhaled. Maybe someone with a stronger background in biology or anatomy can explain how this would work.
Try exhaling as much air as you can, then wait and see if the air pressure in your lungs starts to build from CO2 production, I don't think it does. The CO2 just remains in your bloodstream until you become hypercapnic and involuntarily gasp for air.

It's actually much more complicated than what the author makes it sound. I would bet this is still quite a ways out from being approved for use on humans.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT