• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Scotland Spearfishing 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
went to hopeman and burghead low tide again caining with down with rain look mmoe like what i was looking for try n get in by harbour soon.

Thanks everyone for your replies. We ended up with the most unbelievable weather the whole week - almost 28 degrees on some days and barely a cloud in the Skye. Managed to get in down in Loch Brittle and Loch Bay by the Stein Inn on Skye but only really had time for a quick half hour here and there. Despite the stunningly clear water, I didn't see much in the way of fish save for the odd wrasse and quite a few jellyfish. I did spent an afternoon fishing (with a rod) off the rocks by Neist Point, didn't get so much as a nibble but did see a Minke Whale swimming around for about a hour. I don't think I would attempt a dive around there without someone experienced as the currents look pretty fierce. The lack of fish in general did nothing to take away from quite how beautiful that whole coast line is. Can't wait to get back there although I might time my trip for when the midges aren't quite so annoying. We spent a number of evenings huddled in our tent in Camusdarach and Loch Brittle!

That's a shame the fish weren't there, but like you say it's a really beautiful area.
Pity about Neist Point - you must have been unlucky as it usually provides good sport.
I'm heading off to the West coast for a fortnight next week with the yak, fishing/diving gear etc. cant wait - this has been the worst year I recall for poor weather and coloured water. Really looking forward to that clear water and the midges :)

weather wind n works been against me havent got in yet what a bugger vis still looks good where theres no run off from the rivers n mountains nnw wind making sea quite rough

'weather and wind' - where is summer??

I've had a few days on the West coast - been great so far with plenty of good Pollock, Crabs etc. and seeing surprising numbers of Bass BUT today Im sitting on the beach in a howling gale and can see anout 50 yards into the fog thats just getting thicker :-( Still it beats work I guess!

If you have access to a boat or a kayak (15 minutes) the fishing on the HMS Port Napier (straight line out from the ramp in Kyleakin) is usually pretty good regardless of conditions for bigger pollack. pm me for details if you want any.

I am up in Aberdeen once a month at the minute and as of Aug will be taking my spearfishing gear up in the van for a couple of days fishing on my way home (when I say my way home i mean englandshire via anywhere north of the border! :D) each trip so grateful if anyone wants to show me around? unfortunately it will probably be a tues/wed but i'm hopeful :wave

............believe me if i could bring my gear out here I would too!! :D

Back to Elgin Monday for a few weeks staying in Lossimouth any hints anyone? how did you do highlander? think i will hit reefs over golf course?

Here now after 9 hr drive how can Scotland be so far away?westerly/northerly wind light coming on to coast here boarder line to get in vis looks good just looking over Moray golf club house over bay n sea to north Inverness /wick way any one up here ?Any one know this area at all? Up here for ten days at least .weather looks mixed won't some southerly winds so have off shore winds.A monarch jet gust flew passed the window do they fly in to Lossiemouth airport???

Here now after 9 hr drive how can Scotland be so far away?westerly/northerly wind light coming on to coast here boarder line to get in vis looks good just looking over Moray golf club house over bay n sea to north Inverness /wick way any one up here ?Any one know this area at all? Up here for ten days at least .weather looks mixed won't some southerly winds so have off shore winds.A monarch jet gust flew passed the window do they fly in to Lossiemouth airport???

Sorry for the late reply Denian.

I didn't actually get out when I was up, there were a couple of decent days, one for the wedding & the other one had to spend with family....... but the water did look incredibly clear.

I believe that Kinloss used to be used as a bad weather runway to fly into if Inverness was fogbound or other bad weather. So possibly Lossiemouth may now be used as RAF Kinloss has now been closed, or at least the airfield use has.

Scott

Just got out 15oc on vyper easterly wind gave me a bit of flat water in bay in side reef 2-7m vis bright blue sky sun out dry light breeze v good really ,no fish seen!only sholes of bait fish small wrass and a flaty that moved so fast I couldn't tell what it was hundreds crabs the sea bed was crawling kept me entertained.30 feet to car what a joy mt car park as well.only other thing was dozens of sea slugs .Reef was interesting going over it into the outside with small swell breaking over it flying along in the surge nice as it was so bright and clear vis.not a lobby seen bit to early maybe found a big claw on beech may post picky it as big as my open hand .Boy does it stink !!!

Hey guys......... I used to live down in Dorset and was frequently in the water getting fish. I have now lived in Scotland for two years and have not had any dives as I dont know anyone who spears fish and I dont like going in alone in places I dont know...... so I packed the car and had a long drive down to Dorset and thought I would share my bag with you guys.... any guys interested in spearing and need a dive buddy, let me know.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 242
I live in Motherwell BUT I work all over the Central belt and can keep my things in my car to do evening dives after work.... looks like good weather is on the way.. TOUCH WOOD!

For sure :) don't know what's wrong but the wind and swell seem to be dropping and there's a big shiny thing in the sky sometimes?
Give me a shout when your back up this way and have time to dive and we'll get something sorted.

Cheers

Grant

Great........... Im back home now... went down on Sunday and returned today... I will PM you my number.

Cheers

May be back up your way at pertershead for a few weeks work .let you know if I'm up how big were the red mullet ?nice catch never seen so many were they in! In numbers?

May be back up your way at pertershead for a few weeks work .let you know if I'm up how big were the red mullet ?nice catch never seen so many were they in! In numbers?

The two bigger reds were just under 2lbs and the bass was 6 lbs :) Yeah, let me know when you about.

Hi everybody,

I have previosly posted a tread here about Spearfishing in Scotland.

I am from Denmark, but visit Scotland every year hunting for red stalks and Sika.
The area in which I stay is a little vest of Tarbert, north of the West loch Tarbert.
Apart from my rifle, I also bring my Spearfishing Gear.

This year I will be in the area all of week 39 and hope to get calm winds and some good spearfishing as well as hunting in the hills.

Last year I visited the Mull of Kintyre, dived from and southward from Machrihanish Seabird Observatory.
It was a beautifull dive, beatifull UW landscape and nice vizibility. Got a couple of pollack, had hoped for some Seabass.

Should any of you guys have additional information about this area, please feel free to share. Any hot spots to visit?
If anybody wants to go out on a trip with me during week 39, please PM me here or if you want to contact me during week 39, use mobile phone
0045 4035 3232.
I also insert this link to a nice mullet video from my local area...
https://vimeo.com/42828357

Hey guys......... I used to live down in Dorset and was frequently in the water getting fish.I have now lived in Scotland for two years and have not had any dives as I dont know anyone who spears fish and I dont like going in alone in places I dont know...... so I packed the car and had a long drive down to Dorset and thought I would share my bag with you guys.... any guys interested in spearing and need a dive buddy, let me know.

:wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Hello slimyeel,
I too have not yet found anyone to go out in the water with, I've only done a few outings on my own, all in pea-soup, all rather more effort than enjoyment. I now live in the Stirlingshire area, and Motherwell is not too far of a drive from here (Scotland is so spread out that Perth is close to here too).
If you are looking to get in the water with a buddy, and don't mind that there is likely to be a difference in skill and experience (guessing that you are more experienced than myself); to say nothing of breath hold capability, then please send me a message, and I'll private message you my details.

Here I am, I live locally, have the kit (apart from float and flag), a car, a map and I too am looking for a spearfishing buddy.

I have been in Scotland for 6 years with a 3 year gap, and since being back for 7 months (first time living in Scotland that I own any kit) I have not been out.

Last edited:
Has anyone been out / had any luck? I was lucky enough to get out over the weekend and really hoping we get some more days like this before winter bites -

Last edited by a moderator:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT