• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Scotland Spearfishing 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hello Everyone,

I met up with Svendsen in Tarbet for some spear gun action.

4 hours drive, not including the slight delay due to a section of wind turbine blocking the main route in to Tarbet; though luck would have it that a single track road saved the day, and the local police were in full swing looking after the traffic, and also answering questions from confused visitors to the area :eek:.

The day was fantastic, though the first five minutes reminded me that I had left my weights in the car :waterwork. Svendsen was very understanding and made light of the mistake whilst turning the van around (and back through the policed traffic area), a real gentleman.
Big chop on the waves meant a search was on until we discovered (I had no part in the discovery but will allow some credit as memory serves me I did agree it looked like a good road) a place called Southend on the western side of Kintyre but very much to the southern end.

Visibility was fantastic and two huge fish were caught thanks to my getting out of the way :naughty

or maybe my scaring them towards Svendsen :naughty

it must have been my ability to talk to the fish :naughty

Oh, ok it had nothing to do with any of my ability :waterwork

It was the fantastic work of Svendsen and his skillful ability to do what he did :)

I had a big gap and chips the next day for dinner. It was fantastic to get out and get wet, even better for me to have learned so much from an experienced spear fisher.
Now it's time to get some kit that is more/suitable for the hobby.
A picture should be coming off my camera soon, and I'll post it up for all to see.

Last edited:
Haha Philip, it was an enjoyable trip...
I hope soon also to be able to upload a picture...

Get them up boys!. nice to see some pics from up north again.what did you spear and how heavy were they?

IMG_1376.jpg
Here is a picture of the fearless spearfisher who joined me on the trip down to the Mull of Kintyre...

I got 2 mullets, had hoped for some Pollock.
There are no scallops at the Mull of Kintyre, anyone who got an idea why that is so?
A little bit north, there are lot's of them!

It's a bit out of my normal area but many parts of that coast were completely decimated by scallop dredgers :-(

And here is the picture of the other fearless and somewhat more proficient spearfisher on the grand day out at the south of Kintyre.
attachment.php

Attachments

• BILD0004.jpg
    BILD0004.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
North Sea is flat calm and sunny blue skies today! little bit of wind chop but apart from that, like a duck pond. :)

Cool.

It's been dying away all week and looks like we'll be diving on the East tomorrow :)
Duncan - if you get your binoculars out tomorrow you might be able to see Edin and me having a nice afternoons diving from your sea Gaol :)

Still on for a lobbie harvest on Tues?

Nice vid granti so many fish I've never seen so many bet the sholeing effect worked for them you just don't know which one to focus on and shoot trying to pick the biggest lots of sea life on the bottom as well how deep were you going to ?Was the footage with a gopro on your mask?the movement seamed quick for gun mounted camera.great vid.

Hey Denian, I notice you call Grant - Granti.... !
Well, when I met Grant in the summer, that was exactly what I called him too LOL
I think his forum name is Grantl as in L but I have always read it as Granti...

most be the old age and demensia! Ha !hows conditions down on the islands this weekend?

Cool.

It's been dying away all week and looks like we'll be diving on the East tomorrow :)
Duncan - if you get your binoculars out tomorrow you might be able to see Edin and me having a nice afternoons diving from your sea Gaol :)

Still on for a lobbie harvest on Tues?

Not Fair! thats cruel !!! :waterwork I sit in the sea all day and can't even get wet......other than standing out in the rain :-( Pissing down here by the way. One of those creepy still days with mist and rain and just dark and ominous :-s Still need a bit of a breeze though to keep the fog away. Don't want to wake up Monday listening to the money horn and no choppers! :-( :head

Good luck guys but you leave Elvis alone!! he's miiiiiiiiiiiiiine! :martial

In Guernsey the weather is amazing just now, we have 2-4 mph wind & 20 mile air visibility but it is forecast to change tomorrow.

Good luck guys but you leave Elvis alone!! he's miiiiiiiiiiiiiine! :martial

Dont worry Elvis didn't want to come home with me :-( Didn't spend much time in that area tbh.
Good diving again though and there are a lot of Macs heading South :)
Water temp 11 deg Air temp 12 so not too bad at all. Vis was 3m or so but it will be better for us next week as we have low swell and wind forecast along with smallish tides.

how deep were you going to ?Was the footage with a gopro on your mask?the movement seamed quick for gun mounted camera.great vid.

Thanks
I think it was all fairly shallow - prob 10-15 m at most.
I'm using a Contour Roam and mount it either on my gun or on the mask strap.
This vid was head mounted but would have been better mounted on the gun for the shallow stuff.
I prefer the gun mount but for some reason it affects my aim (. Very badly!) on my pneumatic gun. Not sure what's going on but I think I'm lining fish up on the cam and not the gun sub consciously but it is definitely improving .

In Guernsey the weather is amazing just now, we have 2-4 mph wind & 20 mile air visibility but it is forecast to change tomorrow.

Typical!! :head and just to add insult to injury I'm in Lanzarote for family hols soon but only allowed to take mask and fins (by order of d' management) and 'no disappearing for the day' :waterwork

Dont worry Elvis didn't want to come home with me :-( Didn't spend much time in that area tbh.
Good diving again though and there are a lot of Macs heading South :)
Water temp 11 deg Air temp 12 so not too bad at all. Vis was 3m or so but it will be better for us next week as we have low swell and wind forecast along with smallish tides.

fingers crossed! Only chance I'm gunna get for the next 4 weeks.

4 Weeks !! That's not good. I'll not mention the trip to the West Coast to you then? Oops :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT