• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Scotland Spearfishing 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Well that was a dark and creepy experience. Vis is pants but not hopeless ;-)

just typed war n Peace and it vanished bloody typical.Come on pie muncher give us a clue where did you go what did yo see which other crazy bod was with ya any pics ?I know it was early hours tho! How cold was it ?Looks like I'm probably up Dundee for a month or so early next year anyone that way ?it might be Jan/ Feb shall I bring the ice axe or 7mm suite?

On me tod completely......appart from a seal on the beach that snorted about 5m away and nearly caused an aborted mission due to a soiled suit!! It was flippin pitch black. No moon light just a few stars between clouds. Was really quite nice once my heart found its way back to where it should be. Very little wind but a medium random swell. got in at midnight for two hours. About 0.5m milky vis but got 3 lobbys. 2 not bad size but put the big fat bird back unfortunately as she was carrying. Good news for future creepy crawlys though. Quite a wierd creepy session in those conditions after my initial fright! :)

just typed war n Peace and it vanished bloody typical.Come on pie muncher give us a clue where did you go what did yo see which other crazy bod was with ya any pics ?I know it was early hours tho! How cold was it ?Looks like I'm probably up Dundee for a month or so early next year anyone that way ?it might be Jan/ Feb shall I bring the ice axe or 7mm suite?

Just a 7mm and a sense of humour! :)

Oh and nearly forgot. More 1lb coleys than i've ever seen. Bottom was thick with them in the kelp. You had to prod them to spook em. But no pollack?? Strange goings on. Few brown crab but nothing of size.

Oh and nearly forgot. More 1lb coleys than i've ever seen. Bottom was thick with them in the kelp.
Now that's quite interesting - I wouldn't have thought they'd still be there. Were they relatively shallow by any chance - 3-5m?

Probably more like 2-3m? Unless they stay in a particular contour depth and it was just the big tide? Speaking of which the tide was pulling through there this time.even an hour after low. Hadn't felt significant pull there that shallow before.

The flow off no name beach just beyond no see um rock can be quite impressive in certain conditions.
It can become full of small standing waves and there are sometimes rips there that you simply will not be able to swim faster than. Did I not mention that :) ?

Thanks for mentioning that......i'd hate to have been out in that on me tod with 8hrs between me and daylight and not knowing that! I'd just tell ur mate in the lifeboat it was all your idea and you let me out of my jacket! ;-)

Don't worry - I've bought a super long extending dog lead for your Christmas and we can tether you to the shore next time you fancy another dive like that :)

So I'm back up north over the Chrimbo period....anyone got in recently? Whats the forecast and more importantly is it worth me bringing my kit up? Had some lovely pollock and lobbies last time I was up and I'm sure the father in law would appreciate some fresh fish or crustacean if I can get him some....

I had a look yesterday and it was pretty filthy and lots of fairly big swell coming rolling in.
I think you'll be lucky to find anywhere worth diving at the moment tbh.

I had a look yesterday and it was pretty filthy and lots of fairly big swell coming rolling in.
I think you'll be lucky to find anywhere worth diving at the moment tbh.

I'll second that. It's errrrr.....'a bit grim?' ;)

Thanks guys,

I made the decision to pack my stuff in the car anyway. After a relatively easy 6 hours drive made it up here last night...bit windy here isn't it!! I didn't get chance to check the swell before leaving but heard from someone that the surf is pretty good in tynemouth at the moment...that kinda says it all. Still its an excuse to escape the in-laws for an afternoon/evening while ''looking for some vis'' and hopefully my brother DafyddRees will join me for a drive around for a bit....

Merry X-mas!!

A new thread "Scotland spearfishing 2013" has been posted. :wave

Happy new year to all. :)

Scotland as a country seemed to have less spearos meeting up last year than some individual counties of our neighbouring England. :waterwork

Let's see what 2013 can bring. :wave

Last edited:
we do exist despite the namesake! you just gotta spot us......and stay up late! ;) (and when you least expect to see anyone! :naughty :eek:)....

see you in 2013!

A new thread "Scotland spearfishing 2013" has been posted. :wave

Happy new year to all. :)

Scotland as a country seemed to have less spearos meeting up last year than some individual counties of our neighbouring England. :waterwork

As McYeti says - there are a few of us about, prob more than you might imagine.

Maybe we've got fewer who write on forums about it tbh ;-)

I'm out tonight or tomorrow a.m to get some urchins for a Kiwi mate that loves 'en and might shoot a bit of vid but more than likely wont bother, in which case I'll not bother writing about it in all likelihood.
I'm sure there are loads of others like me just quietly getting on with it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT