• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Scotland Spearfishing Buddies

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Flashy

Jul 9, 2017
Hi Folks,

Are there any spearos on here living in Scotland that are looking for a dive buddy, or happy to take another one on if they've already got a group? I'm an Argyll-based freediver and have just bought my first speargun, float etc, and keen as mustard to get out on the water to use them.

Cheers

Flashy

Hi

Whereabout are you based? I am in Glasgow. I am total noob. I have just completed gathering the gear and hoping to try it out sometime. Just need to get some contact lenses next week and should be ready to go.

Hi

Whereabout are you based? I am in Glasgow. I am total noob. I have just completed gathering the gear and hoping to try it out sometime. Just need to get some contact lenses next week and should be ready to go.
Hi Mick,

Great to hear from you. I'm in Mid Argyll, near Lochgilphead.

Are you a noob at spearfishing, or freediving in general? If the latter, I'd be able to teach you some things out on the water, but I'd highly recommend going on a freediving course beforehand if you can e.g. AIDA, from a safety perspective. Given the inherent risks of freediving (and therefore spearfishing), this could save your life or mine by knowing what to look out for and how to respond to e.g. shallow water blackout, which is a killer, and partly why the No1 rule of freediving is to never dive alone / always dive with a competent buddy. I've put some Youtube links about this below. This means that when we go out on the water, we're both prepared and can have as much fun as possible hunting :)

It looks like there might be the odd freediving club based around Glasgow / Edinburgh that might run some classes. Is this something you think you could to look into?

I'll DM you with my details etc.

Yeah I was thinking freediving course would be a good idea. I need to check if there is anything available in the area.
I am new to spearfishing. I did some snorkeling but never went deeper than 6m. I red/watch plenty material about shallow water blackout and I can admit that it is scary thing.

Hi Folks,

Are there any spearos on here living in Scotland that are looking for a dive buddy, or happy to take another one on if they've already got a group? I'm an Argyll-based freediver and have just bought my first speargun, float etc, and keen as mustard to get out on the water to use them.

Cheers

Flashy
Hi, I'm from Edinburgh, I did my Aida 2 not long ago and I've never tried spearfishing yet, but would be good to do some depth and having a buddy to dive with in that part of Scotland, I can do most weekends so if you still looking for a buddy send me a message and we can arrange something! :)

Hi Alby / Mick,

Alby: Good stuff. I'll DM you my phone number and we can try to arrange something.

Mick: If a few of us go and you still haven't managed to do any formal training yet, we could probably teach you some stuff out on the water. Would you be keen?

I've been out on the water 3 times this summer in Argyll and haven't seen a single fish worth catching :,) There is somewhere I know that might yield some scallops, however. Would be good to organise a trip there.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT