• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Scottish Spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Deepspeara

Apr 2, 2020
Hi
First Post here :)
I've been doing a bit of spearfishing from Edinburgh for a few years, well I was until Boris stopped me
Wondering if there are many here from my neck of the woods? I've never heard of many other Spearas here but would be great to connect if there is a scene I can join?
I've mostly been diving alone and pushing depths for lovely Scottish Cod so I think it's time I got some buddies. DM me or reply to this message

Deepspeara

There is most definitely spearfishing going on in Scotland, there used to be an active thread on the forum dedicated to Scotland but it has not been active for a few years now.
Lots of big lobsters and pollock were always showing up on the thread.

Thank you Foxfish
I've had a good look through the Scottish posts and like you say not so much recently.
No shortage of Pollock in the places I dive. I try to take them in the 7-10 lb range if I can. The biggest one I caught weighed 13.5 lbs and believe it or not I shot it near its tail accidentally and had quite a fight with it. A rod angler was watching me and came running to see the fish when I got out - the last thing he expected was a girl in a wetsuit with a big gun
Anyway, I go as far south as Newcastle in the summer for some great bass action. My ex boyfriend really got me into spearing and I use all his spots down there as he taught me all about bass in that area. Not had any over 7lb but there are plenty around in summer.
Anyway, fingers crossed I can meet some local Spearos this season.

Ha ha great!
I am still friends with a couple of Scottish spearos but outside of the forum but if we tag him https://forums.deeperblue.com/members/grantl.7398/ he might answer ?
Personally I prefer the smaller pollock around the 2lb mark as they offer a nice size fillet a s a sweeter taste but 13.5lb is a huge one! Well done!
Funny enough another Scottish spearo called Eden caught a 13.5lb pollock when he was over in Guernsey on holiday during a forum spearfishing event.

Well done to you Speara ! Catching fish that sizeas put all the boys to shame and as well as being keen and active know wonder the boys up that way are sheepish ! Hopefully when the lock down is over some one will get in touch if they can swallow their pride of being out fish by you ! All the best stay safe .

Hi , am in the Dundee area just starting out spearfishing this year . Don’t know if there is anyone else up this way .

With 156 views there must be some one ! Wellcome along let's hope this thread kicks starts things .what have you done so far ?

Just scuba and snorkelling. This lockdown has had me watching dive videos on YouTube and spearfishing vids started coming up , that sparked my interest .

Lots of us come from scuba / surfing and have some kit and a bit of knowledge.watch a load of uk Scotland you tube vids then explore safely and relax learn to relax and become chilled out take a camera if need be .

Cheers , got plenty of time at the moment to watch vids and do some online research etc. Got a couple of spots already in mind where I’ve shore fished or snorkelled in the past round my area . Just looking to enjoy another angle of being in the water and maybe getting a tasty feed at the end of the day . (Plenty chippies nearby )

Hi , am in the Dundee area just starting out spearfishing this year . Don’t know if there is anyone else up this way .
HI mate, I live in aberdeen and will be starting to spearfish this year. Would be happy to buddy up if you want?

Reactions: BazM
Sounds good , just have to wait and see what happens with this lockdown

Another Scottish Spearo here but I live to far away to meet up as I live in Shetland.

Last edited:
Reactions: BazM
Hi
First Post here :)
I've been doing a bit of spearfishing from Edinburgh for a few years, well I was until Boris stopped me
Wondering if there are many here from my neck of the woods? I've never heard of many other Spearas here but would be great to connect if there is a scene I can join?
I've mostly been diving alone and pushing depths for lovely Scottish Cod so I think it's time I got some buddies. DM me or reply to this message

Deepspeara
hello

How far north have you gone? There are a few vids on youtube of people snorkelling/spearfishing along the coast from Fraserburgh to Buckie, looks awesome, I think I'll take a trip up that way when the lockdown ends. Also with this nice weather I took a stroll to the beach not far from my house and the water was unusually clear and very inviting, I'll attach some pics...

Attachments

• 9ABDA024-5653-4D88-B63B-9269481D13CF.jpeg
    9ABDA024-5653-4D88-B63B-9269481D13CF.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 279
  • CBE7D9E7-FAD7-4A82-9E1A-6A08FD496218.jpeg
    CBE7D9E7-FAD7-4A82-9E1A-6A08FD496218.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 281
Have been around west coast a bit, decent vis and dont have to go too far out to find some deep spots, tend to go to the more rural places to avoid boats etc. travel from east Yorkshire so its a bit of a trek but well worth it. haven't been for a few months for obvious reasons! always keen to meet up for a dive as normally go alone

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT