• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Scuba buddy/spearing partner in so cal wanted!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Shayne

Feb 5, 2019
Hey all, I'm Shayne and I'm new to the West Coast. Just moved out here from the Chesapeake Bay in Southern Maryland and now I live in Redondo Beach, CA. I'm an avid scuba diver and am certified up to advanced with nitrox and I have all of my own gear. Also, I have a spear gun (JBL woody magnum shorty) that I got for free from a friend which I replaced the bands on. I am looking to go out and dive near me in Redondo Beach/Palos Verdes or really anywhere within a reasonable distance. I am also interested in going spearfishing for the first time (every time I tried on the east coast, the dive boat cancelled due to weather) hopefully from shore because I like free things and not paid trips. Was wondering if anyone on this forum lived near me and wanted to go diving sometime?

Welcome to DB and California. In general I think it's going to be hard to find a serious spear fisherman who does it on scuba. I was born and raised in Florida and have lived in North Carolina and I understand that the attitude is completely different back on the east coast, but it just is. Part of it is just snobbishness, but it'd also because our two most desirable species, white sea bass and yellowtail, really don't like bubbles. However you can do very well on halibut using scuba, and they are my favorite to eat anyway.

I spent most of my life using scuba, but for the last 20 years or so in California the only time I use scuba is when an anchor or a fish it hung up too deep to retrieve safely freediving.

Thanks for the welcome. So honestly I’m just looking for some time in the water. Had a bunch of warm days here and I’ve been itching to get out. I’m down to scuba, spear, even try my hand at free diving but I’ve just never done it before.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT