• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

sea anemone questions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Andrew the fish

Oct 17, 2010
basically the questions include everything. Which species are edible? How to properly collect them, store, and prepare and cook. I see some spectacular anemones, huge specimens with football-size bodies. Methink it is a lot of food. And aparently they are edible. Folks, please share what you know.

Picked a couple off of a pontoon, rolled them in flour and fried them up. Maybe it was my cooking, or wrong species of anemones. Edible, but that is it. Texture is very soft, like oyster, no flavor. Won't do it again. No room for anemones, I have trouble consuming all the fish I spear.

Reactions: Erik
I am no expert but I think it is only the Snakelock that is edible but they can also be quite painful to eat if not treated properly ... others are even more toxic. Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall eats some in Alderney on one of his vids....

Why, why, why would you want to eat an anemone? That's not a poke...I'm Asian...and I have stuffed some weird things into my gob over the years...but an anemone is just a wee bit over the top. No, no Sam I am...I will not eat green anemones and ham. (A little-known factoid...anemones are, for all intents and purposes, immortal. They do die of natural and unnatural causes...and deep-frying is an unnatural cause. But, their cells do not age in the same way most other animals do...they can continue to produce new cells, regenerate injured parts and essentially survive forever...under perfect conditions.)

John, you of all people, after eating live octopus and deep fried grasshoppers and other weird shiite, you are asking me why I (ME!) want to eat anemones. I am puzzled. I say urchins are way weirder than anemones. Sea cuces are even more repulsive-looking. Anemones look like food, a lot of food.

Reactions: John B Griffith Jr
oh, and I forgot about jelly fish... so it is ok... and nobody asks why, to eat jelly fish, while anemones are raising a few Asian eyebrows... fascinating. I will be boiling for a while, don't mind me, ok...

Reactions: John B Griffith Jr
[photo=medium]12676[/photo] LOL! OK, I guess you have a valid point...as I have eaten the infamous Sea Turd-I mean Sea Slug...one man's anemone is another man's Filet Mignon. Hot sauce, Andrew..lot's of boiling and hot sauce. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT