• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sea Bass Ahoy

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shaneshac

FIN TRASHER
Oct 8, 2002
This morning we set off for a boat dive a 06:45.

Went to one of our bass and orata spots and started he aspettos. The water was green so took the Pelagos 90

The place was packed with huge sargo but we declined shooting as biggies lurk in the background.

On the third aspetto i was being entertained by a coupe of big sargo when too my righ a monster sea bass appeared. Must have been between 6-7 kilos. I started to move my gun but it turned and scattered into the murk :(

A few aspettos later a school of big orata appeared but kept right on the verge of the visibilty. I took 2 shoots to where i felt they could be but they were unseuccesfull.

We moved off to one of our beaches. The water was rough and the viz was 2m.

An aspetto at 5m depth and a nice 3 kilo + bass appeared. Without even looking at it i raised the gun slightly and BANG.

On the shooting line. :D

Thanks guys.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

The aunt got a few smaller ones ;) This i gave to the one of the team as i have had a lot of sea bass in the last month

Not sure its a smile or the sun in my eyes.

nice one...i think its a smile, i know i would smile if i just shot a fish

You would not have been smiling too much if a few hours earlier you would have seen a monster bass and not got the chance to shoot it.

;) Anyhow i can't complain rofl rofl rofl

Don't bottle things up Shane, you complain if you want to, let it all out, share your feelings with the Depper blue community, were all here for you, we feel your pain ...... missing a fish must seem like the end of the world, I just cant imagine being in that situation !?..........what suffering

Hi
A new one here and i have a question for you, Shane? First, of course congrats for your catches (which one? - well, every single one looks impressing), however i was wondering, I do my spearing in Adriatic sea and the range of fish species here is similar to the one in your area. I was surpised about the quantity of different vessels and large boats that are always in the background of your pics. Dont you get problems with different boats that should normally be present in your area? Fish seem quite troubled by the sound of the boats where i hunt?
And also, reading your post about two beautiful dentex caught in two consequent dives, did you shoot them while diving in the same spot? It never happened to me as they always dissapear when i fire a shot and I can usually say goodby to that spot for the day?

Sasa

Hey Sasa,

We get lots and lots of noise in the bottom when one of these tankers has its engine running and when they drop anchor it is so loud it hurts the ears. But the fish are used to it i feel and its not really affected my fishing ;)

The dentex where shot in exactly the same spot. The beauty of wooden guns is that they are silent. The first shot was alos a killshot and the fish did not swim about madly scaring all the others away.

Most of my big catches happen early in the morning when the fish have not been disturbed for the duration of the night.

Amazing...those tankers would scar the bejesus out of me...
I try to do my spearing in the morning as well, if possibe at the first dawn when everything is still murky and even dentex's sight is a bit :hungover . I know what you mean by the beauty of the wooden gun as i am also a proud owner :) of Totemsub Tahiti woody (110 cm).
It must have been the kill shot that did the trick, anyway, hopefully you will make us happy with more pics in the furture.
Sasa

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT