• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

seac asso small one

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rallyblanco

Feb 20, 2017
just got one from flea market trying to rehab how much oil in those things and where get orings caskets or just try match something from metric I assume car parts store maybe get rehab kit if just know where no pressure at on it I got nose open and piston in hand no oil in cylinder but looks clean and shiny wont go more into it before try with oil and but piston back just how much oil on suckker its the smalles model I dont know number but its green thanks rallyblanco

Seac Sub have a repair kit for that gun. The instruction manual is also available and it is attached here. The Asso guns are all the same, the longer versions have a power regulator which you do not really need in a small gun.

Attachments

• asso speargun manual.pdf
    112 KB · Views: 318
thank you so much I did found that same manual also was supriced how nice chematic are. I order too kits from epay 10 dollars each they did have diferent part number so one be good I hope .I did not see how much oil you should put in I gues rest comes out like I was reading this one block how to do it was really good one thanks for respond .I just resgued this one newer had one payed 5$ all parts were there cant go wrong I always been using rubber band ones my favorite is the ultimate .when I moved from finland to Boynton beach FLORIDA1989 met this motley crue spear hunters did 150 dives first year as I was only 24 miss those times .anyway one of the in group manufactor these ultimate guns I test them for him he made power heads and all .be nice to be young like that again three tankkers 3 times a week .litle shoulder pains did know that time or care ,feeling now those aigs any way thanks for respond .rallyplanco.been diving at Cozumel 8 years now love the wall and the north end .vicked current thou.

thank you so much I did found that same manual also was supriced how nice chematic are. I order too kits from epay 10 dollars each they did have diferent part number so one be good I hope .I did not see how much oil you should put in I gues rest comes out like I was reading this one block how to do it was really good one thanks for respond .I just resgued this one newer had one payed 5$ all parts were there cant go wrong I always been using rubber band ones my favorite is the ultimate .when I moved from finland to Boynton beach FLORIDA1989 met this motley crue spear hunters did 150 dives first year as I was only 24 miss those times .anyway one of the in group manufactor these ultimate guns I test them for him he made power heads and all .be nice to be young like that again three tankkers 3 times a week .litle shoulder pains did know that time or care ,feeling now those aigs any way thanks for respond .rallyplanco.been diving at Cozumel 8 years now love the wall and the north end .vicked current thou.
The manual lists the oil quantities in the table, third column.

The Ultimate is a heavy gun, OK for spearing on scuba. The little Asso is in a completely different league, the smallest is a 30 cm, but slightly longer is better, such as the 40 cm and 50 cm models.
Seac Sub Asso Table.jpg

The Asso 30 comes with a holster which is long as the gun is carried in it with the spear loaded! Not a great idea as you could shoot yourself in the foot while pulling the gun free. I bought one of these holsters to see if I could modify it, but that would require chopping the front end completely off the holster and I thought better of it as the gun was not going to be much use if the front end wiggled around (not an Asso, but another short gun that was not a floater).
ASSO 30 holster.jpg

Ultimate 001.jpg

Last edited:
I checked an Asso 30 in my "spare parts" Asso Pro holster and sure enough the gun goes in cocked to shoot with the shooting line already rigged on the wrapping hooks. The idea is you pull it out all ready to shoot. If it discharges while inside the holster then the spear will probably not go through the bottom end of the holster, but the gun will push up rapidly out of the holster breaking the rubber retention strap that swivels over the rear of the gun grip. It is not the most ideal scenario as the gun will probably hit underneath your arm while traveling at some velocity. I must say that although this set-up has-been available for many years I have never met anyone using one. The Asso 30 that I borrowed was a back-up gun, but was not use much as it lacked hitting power with its very short shaft. Flying through water washes speed off quickly when a shaft has little momentum and unless nailing fish to the bottom from above the short power stroke of the little Asso will not have a lot of penetration unless you are very close to your target.

One thing that I noted about the little Asso was that it had large muzzle relief ports, about 8 mm in diameter, and drilled at an angle into the muzzle to jet water forwards when the gun fired. These ports are very large and are much bigger than they used to be and the answer as to why this is so is that there are now only three of them. There used to four ports, but they were much smaller. Make relief ports too large and that may blow the end of the muzzle off, so they have retained component strength by only having three of them. The muzzle body has flats on it so that you can undo it with a spanner as without diametrically opposed ports it would be nigh impossible to do it with a screwdriver as you used to be able do in the past.

I see that the Asso clone from Hang Fung “Aqua-Gear” also has the three ports which I never noticed before, however its ports are not as large as the ones on the Seac-Sub gun.

Here is something else I noted. Previously I just took some comparative measurements, but before I returned the little Asso I decided to go against my better judgement and cock it and put the armed gun in the holster (I bled some of the air out first, but not all of it). To my surprise it does not go right into the holster, it is about an inch or so too long. It will go right in if you remove the speartip, although the spear could still put a hole in you or someone else if fired unexpectedly without the tip. Now draw and shoot will require pulling the gun from the holster and screwing the tip on while your victim patiently waited to be shot! So not quite "Quick draw" McGraw in its action after all. Maybe the gun was originally supplied with a shorter spear in the past, however the spear is the one the gun was supplied with in this example.
Seac Sub Asso 30 cm R.jpg

Last edited:
Comparison photo of the "Asso 30" and rhe "Ministen 42". Note the length of the projectiles for each gun.
Seac Asso 30 & Mares Ministen 42 R.jpg

Asso 30 cm & Ministen 42 R.jpg

The Asso shown here is brand new and has had a change in stickers which manufacturers do from time to time to freshen them up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marulken
I threw an unloaded Asso 30 into a tub of water and it went straight to the bottom, so it has not enough water displacement for it to float after the shot.

Reactions: Marulken
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT