• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Seac sub Asso 50cm and 65cm pneumatics - any good ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

portinfer

Aquatic shopper...
Jul 3, 2003
Hello
I bought a 50cm Seac Sub Asso Aria pneumatic gun for a mate and it arrived damaged. I can send it back but it may be a pain to do so (got better things to do with my time than track down shipping companies etc)

So here is the question :
I normally use a Totemsub Pelagos 100 and am very happy with it.
I know that the little 50cm one won't be at all the same but I was wondering what the range was and so on.

ie is it useful at all ?

Range ... ?
Accuracy... ?
Ease of maintenance... ?
Power...? (with power regulator)

The reason is that I may keep it (the piece of black plastic above the yellow safety near the trigger has snapped off so the gun has no safety - looking at the design it may be better this way and just adjusted with some sandpaper to smooth off the rough edges - The safety looked like it might catch, so no loss if it isn't there. The gun would still work fine but I can't give it as a Christmas present to my mate !).

Is the 65cm Seacsub Aria pneumatic a much better gun (currently available and in stock whereas the 50cm one isn't...).

Any modifications to either the 50cm or the 65cm that you would recommend ? (Apart from the postal service one already mentioned above !)

Cheers for the advice
Ed

Hi Ed
Seasons greetings to you
I have the Asso 50cm and to be frank it is near worthless.
I used it a couple of times , even shot a mullet with it but IMHO Pneumatics are a waste of time in this size.
The only possible way I would imagine using it would be to go into narrow caves and shoot Congers.
Shane may be able to give you some tips about hotting up pneumatics but basically I think that all you need to do is to open the holes in the muzzle a bit more and the valve inside the gun needs to be opened up a little too.
I haven't used mine for about a year now and will probably end up selling it on Ebay in the summer....

Cheers Huan - and a Happy Christmas to you too - more or less confirmed my suspicions !
I'll go for the refund and get them to send the 65cm for my mate (he is still adamant about having one !).

Maybe spend the cash that I would have had to have spent on keeping it on some new gear for myself... like fins or something ...
Have a good holiday Huan - take it easy.
Ed

Yep get yourself some Specialfins they are definately worth the money.
you could nearly afford a pair of kelpies with the cost of an ASSo :)

specific use guns, big fish in small cave... My dive buddy has one and use it sometimes, hovewer i did not tried myself. Although it seems powerfull coz it makes scarry bump noise when shaft hit the rock in the cave..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT