• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Seal speared at Torbay - urgent help needed

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sep 4, 2017
Hi guys, a seal has been speared in the last few days at Brixham, in Devon. Can anyone shed any light on what kind of spear this is (also possible length and barb)? This is important, to aid with it's removal. It is a seal local to Brixham, so if anyone has any information, please could you get in touch.
Sarah-Greensalde-3.jpg
Sarah-Greenslade-seal-2.jpg
Sarah-Greenslade-seal-picture1.jpg

That is sad! Not good at all. These things shouldn't happen. I hope the animal can be helped.
Unless you can examine the spear closely and are knowledgeable about all the variations out there it is going to be difficult to identify the exact spear.
I wonder what the story behind this sad event is?

Sent from the abyss

That is sad! Not good at all. These things shouldn't happen. I hope the animal can be helped.
Unless you can examine the spear closely and are knowledgeable about all the variations out there it is going to be difficult to identify the exact spear.
I wonder what the story behind this sad event is?

Sent from the abyss

We don't know at the moment. The seal was swimming around and eating okay a couple of days ago, but has now disappeared. The position of the spear doesn't suggest a defensive shot - maybe mistaken identity. So far, no-one has come forward. We are more interested in spotting the seal, or identification/info about the spear. We have been told it's a single-flopper. If anyone sees the seal around the area, please contact us. Likewise if they have any information about this, which will be treated in confidence.

In those waters, what kind of fish could you possible mistake for a seal!?

I would imagine its a situation of missed shot, spear travel beyond visibility. I can not imagine it was mistaken identity and heaven forbid it was deliberate, most spearos have a deep passion for the sea and to spear a seal is taboo, regardless of laws, the law obviously being that it is illegal to use speargun's on seals. Although I believe it was an accident, it still totally outrages me, firstly and most importantly because of the suffering of the seal and secondly, this is a totally avoidable accident, if you cant see for the total length of potential spear travel, don't take the damn shot!! :mad: Pound to a penny, if this is you, you know its you, do the right thing, fess up and get in touch with Steve, you cant undo the damage but you can help make it better(y)

My point exactly. I just don't want to believe it was done purposely. The spear is in rather an odd place. The water has been pretty calm lately too and clear.

I would imagine its a situation of missed shot, spear travel beyond visibility. I can not imagine it was mistaken identity and heaven forbid it was deliberate, most spearos have a deep passion for the sea and to spear a seal is taboo, regardless of laws, the law obviously being that it is illegal to use speargun's on seals. Although I believe it was an accident, it still totally outrages me, firstly and most importantly because of the suffering of the seal and secondly, this is a totally avoidable accident, if you cant see for the total length of potential spear travel, don't take the damn shot!! :mad: Pound to a penny, if this is you, you know its you, do the right thing, fess up and get in touch with Steve, you cant undo the damage but you can help make it better(y)

That would be the ideal solution, because whoever did it can identify what spear they were using, which will aid in removal. Like any other sport/pastime there will always be the 1%.

Something funny about that spear, no notches for bands, no hole for string.

It doesn`t looks like spear at all. I can`t imagine what sort of gun can use this spear . For me it`s looks like a sword!
I`m thinking the seal come from far away!

I am guessing this was a crossbow bolt. Fletches must have fallen off from being in the water. One of those low-powered youth toys, with target tip, not a razor-sharp hunting broadhead. The whole situation suggest some kid or teenage decision-making, and shot from elevation from shore, due to location of an arrow.

Reactions: Brochman
I agree with Andrew the Fish and Spirit that the projectile looks more like a crossbow bolt and or an arrow fired from a bow that has lost its fletches as there are no notches or hole for attaching it to a speargun. An arrow does not have to be a broadhead to be used for hunting. It has struck the seal from behind at high angle and either the seal was totally unaware it was going to happen as some one sneaked up behind it and shot it and or it was aware of the culprit and tried to get down the beach or rocks towards the safety of the sea and was shot at whilst trying to get to the sea.
One thing I did notice it that in the first picture the arrow looks dark then in the second picture the light has caught the arrow and it is almost white so the arrow is made out of a material which is reflective and no speargun spear would do this as it would be either made of Stainless steal so always catch the light or spring steal so always be a dark in colour so I would say it is a dark arrow made of Aluminium or Carbon as both of these would reflect when light hits them.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT