• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

seals are they friendly?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Andrew the fish

Oct 17, 2010
my buddy says there was seal really close, like 2-3 meters away from me. Popped on the surface, looked at me and swam away. I didn't see it, was just resting on the surface face down, and my Cressi Minima mask has probably the worst field of view. This little encounter made me think, I would like to swim with seal, make pictures and and just plain have better look. They aren't territorial are they?

here in California all marine mammals are protected and therefore it is illegal to get near them. Additionally, it is not a good idea to swim with them as they are prey for great white sharks and other predators (orcas). A few years ago a woman was swimming near seals and a great white mistook her for a seal and she died from a bite.
Sea Lions are mean, smart, very aggressive,and can weigh over 1,000 lbs and have huge teeth - I would steer clear of them .

There are a few rules to diving with seals:

Don't get too close when they are up on the rocks, if you scare them they may rush off the rocks and can injure themselves.

Don't back them into a corner or a cave always allow them a clear route to get away from you. The few (very few) stories I've heard about people being bitten by seals are when they have followed them into a dead end and the seal felt trapped.

Stay away from them when they have newborns they can be protective.

Don't chase or hassle them, mostly you will find that the seals are curious about you and will come to investigate you. If you are really lucky they will play with you. Let them make the decisions though.

These are the rules I dive by with Grey Seals in the UK, you may want to double check for your locale.

I just posted a video of my last seal dive in the best dive ever thread

http://forums.deeperblue.com/general-freediving/91875-your-best-dive-ever-2.html

Which shows how friendly they can be.

Reactions: spaghetti
Are seals dangerous? How long is a piece of string? They don't get issued with rule books or attend a seal school - so like all wild animals their behaviour is not entirely predictable. (Makos and Great White Sharks are, and I believe they sometimes hunt seals - spearos probably look & smell quite seal-like & fishy to a shark).

A big one (I reckon 200-300lb-ish, as big or bigger than me) joined me for about half an hour when I was spear fishing in Devon a year or two ago. I tried to stay away but we bumped into each other several times, so I ended up leaving the water eventually (I'd already been in for several hours) rather than mess with it. It nibbled my fin tips one point - probably exploring with its mouth, like a small child or a dog. Another time, I dived down, planning to do an aspetto from a shadowy groove in some rocks under churning water only to land on top of the seal, which was presumably planning something similar. We were both rather startled by that. I believe they'll sometimes take fish from a spearo's stringer.

They seem playful enough but I try to stay away. Wild animals that get too used to humans are exposing themselves to danger - not all humans are benevolent (as the recent riots riots/sedition perhaps show) or careful. Likewise humans would do well to be careful around all wild animals - and for the most part, stay away and leave them in peace IMHO.

They are quite friendly in SA and I've played with a couple while out spearing. We even have 'dive with the seals' boat trips.

I'd compare them to a street dog, some will want to play, some won't be interested in you and a few might get nasty especially if there is food around like a freshly speared fish. Also watch out with the ones that do want to play; they like to take bites out of wetsuits and fins.

well on my trip with Erik and the boys to the west coast of b.c i touched one.. or it touched me. It was a juvenile and while it was cool and a strange thing to be touching such an anima,l i immanently D.D.'d for more open water.. cool but i was wondering after, 'wheres mummy' Ha Ha :blackeye

Reminds me of the Hitch-Hiker's Guide, when they encountered a carbon copy of the Ravenous Bug-Blatter Beast of Traal:

"Is it safe?"

"Oh yes it's perfectly safe. It's just us who are in trouble."

We miss you, Douglas Adams.

Tall Paul.

No concerns about hungry sharks then?

Always :)

There are two islands in Cape Town with seals on them. One is in False Bay and is where photographers get those cool GW breaching with seal in mouth photos. Then there is another island on the cold side of the peninsula where it is quite shallow and GWs don't breach. I'll give you one guess where the seal diving tours go.

From the article in South Africa on the bull seals:
"The recent spate of attacks have left people terrified, as it has emerged that dozens more swimmers have been bitten, clawed, or dragged under by the aggressive beasts this summer."

So, the original question:
"Seals are they friendly?"

-> NO

(actually seals in my area are, but clearly not everywhere...)

It usually takes two to build a friendship. So I guess a relevant question is:

"Humans, are they friendly?"

Reactions: devondave
I've had my fins nibbled before (and he nipped at my knees too). I didn't really mind, except that the vis was less than a metre so I couldn't see my own hands, much less what it was that was nibbling me, except when he surfaced to look around. Slightly disconcerting.

There is no such thing as playing with wild animals. One second they are all playful and then you accidently corner it and your diving in a blender

Reactions: Mr. X
In NZ , I've come across them heaps of times, mostly they look at ya, swim around and are no problem. Last week a mate was out and one came up , started "yawning" and made several fast passes in and out at him. I guess he came across a mean one.
oh yea - I saw a smallish ( 12 ft) great white last week too. They are not so bad , when they dont want to eat you.

A bit OT but I have just "buried" a juvenile bull seal (still about 200Kg) that died in front of my house here. It arrived lost, seemingly well, and hung around. I would spear an extra fish for him and toss them over as I headed back up to the house. He slowed down and died a couple of weeks later. Internal problems? Eaten plastic crap? Who can say. I was along side him as he drifted away, very sad.

Reactions: Pav and Broseidon
Probably all those toxic fish you catch ;) At 200kg maybe just old age - or obesity from being fed.

Always :)

There are two islands in Cape Town with seals on them. One is in False Bay and is where photographers get those cool GW breaching with seal in mouth photos. Then there is another island on the cold side of the peninsula where it is quite shallow and GWs don't breach. I'll give you one guess where the seal diving tours go.

Do you get Orcas/killer whales? I believe they eat seals too.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT