• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

seals are they friendly?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Probably all those toxic fish you catch ;) At 200kg maybe just old age - or obesity from being fed.

Do you get Orcas/killer whales? I believe they eat seals too.

Yep we get pods of killer whales coming into False Bay from time to time... and then the GWs don't feel so apex anymore.

Although generally friendly and inquisitive animals, seals can show territorial behaviour which can be a little scary. I was snorkelling in Cornwall and was surprised by a large male grey seal. It was clearly not too afraid of me but when it started blowing bubbles underwater I knew it was time for me to back off. Loud exhalations at the surface are a good indicator that your getting in the way a bit, too.

They are also know to have a pretty nasty bite. Aside from the physical damage it will do, the resulting infections from a decent bite are pretty nasty, in fact one of the nastiest bites you can get from any mammal.

Prizes for guessing which is the nastiest mammalian bite?? Answers on a post card.

Tom (Zoology graduate, before you ask!)

I would have to say that the nastiest mammalian bite would be the honey badger. As they typically have their system laced with snake venom from receiving snake bites every day, their bite would make short work of you.

Crocodile I think, due to infections from germs. Or to make matters worse, Komodo Dragon for the same reason. Thank you.

There are a few venomous mammals like solenodons but no idea how strong their venom is.

Excluding those, I would have to go with the human bite too - sounds quite nasty. Ex-girlfriend bite as mentioned even nastier ;-)

Ps the above information comes from google and Wikipedia, therefore it HAS to be right lol

There's a kebab place I usually eat at, I'm pretty sure if I bit someone right after eating a stinky, dirty kebab they would die within the hour from the bacteria. They also have a special 'garlic' sauce that i am sure would also cause instantaneous death.

This thread makes me laugh.

Bingo! Human bite is apparently the worst, some of the 'normal' bacteria we all harbour in and around our mouths getting into ones bloodstream could really ruin your day.

Attachments

• simpsons_nelson_haha2.JPG
    simpsons_nelson_haha2.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 140
Pretty academic point.

I'd take my chance with the human bite (with bacteria) against that of, say a tiger with reduced bacteria.

"Have you seen the massive scars I have from the time I was mauled by a tiger?"

"Yeh, but they hardly compare to the ones I got from my little sister when I was seven years old". "Lethal!!"

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT