• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Searching for Monkfish aka Angelshak (Squatina squatina) records in WALES

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Robin Bater

Jul 8, 2017
Hi everyone!

I hope people don’t mind my post.

My name is Robin Bater and am currently a postgrad student who is identifying a stronghold of Angelsharks aka Monkfish (Squatina quatina) in Wales, and I'm trying to compile a list of records from either captures or sightings.

I have attached 2 pictures of an Angelshark caught in Wales last year by an angler, so that you know what species I am after, as there has been some confusion in recent years with the (real) monkfish/Angelshark and the Angler fish – 2 completely different species.

I was wondering if anyone has ever been lucky enough to have encountered this species in Wales or know anyone that has?

If so, it would be great if I could ask a few short questions for my study (e.g. date of sighting, habitat where the spp. was found, depth) – no more than 10 minutes in questions.

I should mention that the only interest of this project is to obtain information on the presence of Angel sharks in Wales and not under what circumstances these records occurred. Therefore, no personal information will be recorded and all data collected will be anonymous and analysed by myself alone.

You can drop me a line to my email: robinbater@gmail.com , message me directly through facebook, or alternatively you can also ring my phone number: 07387 28 02 05

I hope you may be able to assist with this project & I appreciate the time taken to read this message.

All the best,

Robin

Attachments

• Steve_Denning (2016, Aberthaw).jpg
    Steve_Denning (2016, Aberthaw).jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 197
  • Steve_Denning1 (2016, Aberthaw).jpg
    Steve_Denning1 (2016, Aberthaw).jpg
    124 KB · Views: 197
Reactions: Imazagi
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT