• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Seasons for Creature viewing - input please

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
I had a thought.. for those divers who travel a lot:
what do you see at what times of the year.. and where?
i always get asked the question.. "when is a good time to dive.. x place?"

So far from the postings on the boards I have got:

Honolulu, Hawaii
Humpback whales - in November and stay through May and early June.

South Ari Atoll, Maldives
Whale Sharks - December to March, June, July, although they do have sighting 280 days of the year
Manta Rays - West side of all atolls, November to April

Rasdhoo Atoll, Maldives
Hammerheads - residential. All year round

Cape Town, South Africa
Great White Sharks - Winter when the water is warmer (bluecape maybe confirm on that)

Aliwal Shoal - Protea Banks - South Africa
Raggies - July

Kwazulu-Natal Coast, South Africa
Sardine Run - June

Anyother inputs?

Last edited:
The golf balls on the reef here at this time of year are the older and more mature of the species. The younger ones are unusual at this time of year, normally making their debut in the spring when the weather warms up and turns nicer. The younger golf balls seem to prefer shallower water, rarely being found more than 300 yards from the beach and the population becomes more concentrated closer to shore.

While they are a very active species on land, flying often, though rarely more than 300 yards at a time. Once a golf ball enters the water it become quite lethargic, prefering to allow itself to be moved by waves and tidal action and camouflaging itself with marine growth. The age of the balls life in the water can be determined by the amount of and type of marine growth.

The predominate color phase is white, though finding them in flourescent yellow, flourescent green and flourescent orange is not uncommon. They also manifest themselves as white with a red, blue or black stripe.

If you ever visit Okinawa feel free to collect all you can carry home in your luggage. They multiply very prolifically during the warmer months.;)

Sorry, tried to resist the oportunity, but couldn't.:D

Reactions: flyboy748
water balls

LOL!

nice one....
did you ever find any clubs?

does the age of balls found in the water vary when the veterans play?

Last edited:
Haven't found any clubs.

I haven't studied them enough to find out if the age of the ball varies with the skill of the golfer. I do think that there is a correlation between the skill of the player and the distance the ball is found from the beach, though.:D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT